PDA

View Full Version : Help with Angular Parameters

tim102289
2010-11-04, 04:55 PM
im attempting to create a wall mount for a flat screen tv as a component. i would like to have one piece swivel, so if you were viewing it in plan view, the piece would rotate about a point. im having trouble figuring out how use reference planes and/or lines to get the piece to rotate, using an angle dimension and a parameter for that dimension that would allow me to set whatever angle i want it rotated to. please help!

arqt49
2010-11-04, 05:04 PM
Use a reference line. Planes dont't work well with angle parameters.
And lock your pivot point!
You can also consider your tv as a family inside the wall mount family.

tim102289
2010-11-04, 05:18 PM
yeah i figure i will probably put the tv as a separate family inside the wall mount family when i get to that point. but im having trouble getting my extrusion to rotate with the reference line. i was able to get the reference line to rotate correctly in relation to the reference plane, but i need help getting the extrusion to rotate. i am posting a picture of it in plan view to help. see if u can give more specific instructions.

btw the piece i want to rotate is the bar sticking out to the right, and i want to rotate it about the circle. the bar is curved to fit onto the circle like this: O)

arqt49
2010-11-05, 09:17 AM
Can you post the family you already done?

arqt49
2010-11-05, 09:34 AM
Take a look at this one.
Maybe there are too many families inside each other, but it's easier this way.

jcoe
2011-05-09, 08:12 PM
I am having a similar issue except my point of rotation is offset. I created two separate familes for each side, but I cannot seem to get my mind around how to rotate about a center point that is off-center.

I am sure this has something to do with 9th grade math, which I swore I would never have a use for again, but yet here we are.

DoTheBIM
2011-05-12, 04:26 PM
I am having a similar issue except my point of rotation is offset. I created two separate familes for each side, but I cannot seem to get my mind around how to rotate about a center point that is off-center.

I am sure this has something to do with 9th grade math, which I swore I would never have a use for again, but yet here we are.You must create a ref line locked and aligned end point to your point of roation. then align and lock your families to this reference line. place dim on ref line and plane.