PDA

View Full Version : Plus/Minus Symbol

jcoe
2004-12-29, 07:58 PM
This may be a simple question, but here it goes.

Is there a way to enter a plus/minus symbol in dimension strings or level tags. As architects, we all know that existing dimensions are not an absolute.

I tried to input it as +/- but keep getting this message "enter a value or a formula starting with '='. Is there no way to do this? I miss the %%p that A*&^)$D uses.

BillyGrey
2004-12-29, 08:20 PM
Right Click your dim string, select properties, then you will prompt into a dialog box and be given the option of adding a prefix and a suffix.

HTH

Bill

jcoe
2004-12-29, 08:42 PM
Thanks for pointing that out to me Bill. I must have overlooked that. The elevation/level tags do not have the same option though. These are the ones that I am struggling with to display the +/-. Any suggestions.

BillyGrey
2004-12-29, 09:17 PM
Hey Jason,

You can create custom annotation symbols real simple:

Go:

File/New/Family/Annotations/Level Head.rft

That is where you create a custom level bubble...

You simply draw yur bubble, and add two labels, (that are dynamically linked to the name of your level, and the height of your level). You can position those labels, then place a text suffix in front of the "Level" label. Save the file, then load it into your project.

I also created one you can open and study. Just be aware that it only works for text to the left of the datum because that is how the suffix is placed. If you want to be able to place the bubble on both sides, just create another one and correct the text possition. You may also have to edit the placement of the labels to orient correctly for your font size, naming conventions, etc.

I think there could be a better way do this, but until someone chimes in, I hope this gets you where you need to be.

jcoe
2004-12-29, 09:32 PM
Thank you Bill. This is exaclty what I was looking for. I think this is something Revit should address in the future - it could be as simple as a yes/no parameter that one could toggle on/off as needed.

frame
2005-01-04, 09:38 PM
Not obvious, but the functionality is available.
Make a new level head family and change the formating to not use project settings.
Then you can check the checkbox "use "+" for positive values"

See sample file

BillyGrey
2005-01-04, 10:40 PM
Thanks frame

b

jacobburski777508
2019-01-11, 08:58 PM
Bill,
I do not have that option. Where?
Does not show up in my properties.

Right Click your dim string, select properties, then you will prompt into a dialog box and be given the option of adding a prefix and a suffix.

Steve_Stafford
2019-01-14, 05:52 PM
FWIW, congrats on your first post. You've just replied to a thread that is 14 years stale though.

tedg
2019-01-14, 08:11 PM
Bill,
I do not have that option. Where?
Does not show up in my properties.

Good question.. it doesn't show up in properties for me either.. it must have been an option in Revit 14 years ago?
But if you simply double click the dimension text it should get you to the dialog where you can add suffix, prefix, text above or below or whatever..
HTH