PDA

View Full Version : 3 Run Stair

danny.ferguson
2004-12-29, 08:08 PM
Is it possible in Revit to model a 3 run stair (2 intermediate landings)? Or do I have to build a 2 run then a 1 run? I've attached an image of what I'm getting , with a warning message. The stair seems to work, but the railing is not cooperating.
We're using 6.1, but should be going to 7 next week.
Thanks.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-12-29, 09:21 PM
Revit can't create a stair, or a railing, that returns on itself. If the landings or stringers overlap you have to create it as two stairs.
A stair can have any number of landings as long as they don't occur over top of eachother.

Wes Macaulay
2004-12-29, 09:23 PM
It's better to build separate stair objects if you need more than one landing, but I have seen people successfully model stairs with 4 or 5 landings by using the Run stair tool and overlaying series of runs one over the other :shock:

And it WORKED. It's one of a few "stupid Revit tricks" that you'd never think up on your own!

danny.ferguson
2004-12-29, 11:30 PM
The run tool seems to work with the stair, but not the rail. So I'll do it with 2 objects.
I just started using Revit 4 months ago - awesome tool!
Thanks for the help.

Wes Macaulay
2004-12-30, 06:05 PM
Revit can't create a stair, or a railing, that returns on itself. If the landings or stringers overlap you have to create it as two stairs.I didn't think so either, until Danielle did it on one of the station models she was doing. I couldn't figure out how she did it - until she told me that she did in fact return the stair sketch back onto itself several times. I still chuckle at that one.

Arnel Aguel
2004-12-31, 01:35 PM
I didn't think so either, until Danielle did it on one of the station models she was doing. I couldn't figure out how she did it - until she told me that she did in fact return the stair sketch back onto itself several times. I still chuckle at that one.

Wes have you able to figure it out now? I've been struggling on this one but can't really figure out how.

Anyone?

beegee
2005-01-01, 12:38 AM
I gave it a quick try, but the external stringer and balustrade for the first flight want to join to the second landing level for some strange reason, but everything else works OK.

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-03, 05:25 AM
You don't get consistent results using this method, so it's not like I recommend it as an option for building stairs ;)

eddy.lermytte
2005-01-03, 12:31 PM
Hello
As long as things are access- and adjustable IMHO you can modify the parts which are overlapping. I started to adjust ... to see how far I can get ... and ended up with this. See pic.
So ... it seems that in some cases it can be done ... but the price is high and not recommendable.

Eddy

dfriesen
2005-01-03, 08:31 PM
I didn't think so either, until Danielle did it on one of the station models she was doing. I couldn't figure out how she did it - until she told me that she did in fact return the stair sketch back onto itself several times. I still chuckle at that one.

Must be something with the name - I did that too (on a train station building, no less). ;-)

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-03, 10:48 PM
Undoubtedly have the name "Daniel" or its equivalent imbues great intelligence upon the person in question. ;)

Many of the people I know have many of the qualities contained within their name's meaning.