PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD or Revit?

Dave Jones
2010-11-05, 02:13 PM
can I get your opinion? Was the content shown on the attached pdf file created in AutoCAD or Revit?

cdatechguy
2010-11-05, 02:31 PM
Revit...the line ends are round...

vgonzales
2010-11-05, 02:38 PM
Section symbols, Level Symbols, Text with Arrows and other graphics are default Revit graphics. I also checked the company website on the titlesheet. They have openings for Architects that have Revit experience.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-11-05, 02:44 PM
Those elveation tags, definitely all Revit

antman
2010-11-05, 04:13 PM
It's quite apparent this is AutoCAD. I'm a Revit noob, but there are a number of giveaways. The font is shx. If the font is not shx, then someone spent a lot of time making a ttf that resembles one. Those callout tags are not the Revit default tags. Detail 56 was the victim of a viewport clip, which unless I'm mistaken does not happen in Revit for annotation objects - you either see the whole thing or not at all, right?

The only thing that makes me think it's Revit is that the title block scale reads "As indicated" in sentence case, which *is* the Revit default, and seems a bit out of standard with the rest of the title block...

Dave Jones
2010-11-05, 04:37 PM
It's quite apparent this is AutoCAD. I'm a Revit noob, but there are a number of giveaways. The font is shx. If the font is not shx, then someone spent a lot of time making a ttf that resembles one. Those callout tags are not the Revit default tags. Detail 56 was the victim of a viewport clip, which unless I'm mistaken does not happen in Revit for annotation objects - you either see the whole thing or not at all, right?

The only thing that makes me think it's Revit is that the title block scale reads "As indicated" in sentence case, which *is* the Revit default, and seems a bit out of standard with the rest of the title block...

Wanna guess again? :p See attached.

To explain why I've asked the question and not seem like I'm just wasting everyones time: The Revit screen capture on the left is from an original Revit model that contained both a visual and a performance mockup assembly. The screen capture on the right is from the sheet posted in my OP that is a hybrid of the two. The Architect has recnetly combined both mockups into one assembly. While they have given me the rvt file for the original mockups they are telling me that the hybrid mockup dwgs were done in AutoCAD and that there is no rvt file. To me, the pdf looks distinctly like Revit output and I'm wondering why they won't share the new model.

Is it possible that the original Revit model was exported to AutoCAD and then the changes to the scope of the mockup were changed in AutoCAD hence no updated Revit model?

antman
2010-11-05, 05:30 PM
they are telling me that the hybrid mockup dwgs were done in AutoCAD and that there is no rvt file. To me, the pdf looks distinctly like Revit output and I'm wondering why they won't share the new model.

The pdf looks distinctly different from your Revit screencap. My guess is they are telling you the truth.

Is it possible that the original Revit model was exported to AutoCAD and then the changes to the scope of the mockup were changed in AutoCAD hence no updated Revit model?

That's what it looks like to me.

dzatto
2010-11-05, 07:37 PM
It looks like ACAD to me also, especially the elevation markers. Revit's OOTB level heads don't have protruding horizontal and vertical lines. ACAD's elevation blocks do. Just my humble opinion.

twiceroadsfool
2010-11-05, 08:24 PM
***IF*** its done completely in Revit, a LOT of it was manually drafted or overridden. Some of the dimensions are pulled away from their default locations, and DONT have the leader line the way Revit does. Another dimension pulled out of the way HAS the leader line, but the leader line curves in extremely close to the dimtext, something Revit doesnt do, and is hardcoded. So if thats in revit, they MANUALLY drew it.

Also, there are dimensions in the same string that have different unit formatting. One on inches, one in feet-inches. Doable, yes, with two dimension styles. Then theres another dimension thats completely not even to scale. Theres ANOTHER thats been pulled out of location with two STRAIGHT lines pointing to an underscore of the dimtext. Revit wont do that naturally (unless faked).

All of which is possible if they completely defeated the Revit dimension tool and used Line Based detail compoments. But, at that point, ANYTHING is possible if you fake it.

View titles- If its really revit, they added in Parameters to fake view titles. Two labels are needed to get two different sizes of title. Theyve got big titles AND little titles that are identical, so neither is the "View Title." They COULD be view title on sheet... but if thats the case, theyve got View title, view title on sheet, and the third parameter they made.

Bottom Line- If it IS a revit file, and they took the time to hack all that **** in there, i wouldnt want it anyway.

Looks like they built a quickie dirty revit model, and punted it to ACA for detailing.

Dave Jones
2010-11-05, 08:31 PM
Looks like they built a quickie dirty revit model, and punted it to ACA for detailing.

thanks Aaron. I have now confirmed that this is what was done. So, my weekend task is to update the model to reflect the changes made in Acad.

thanks to everyone else for their input also!

dzatto
2010-11-05, 08:42 PM
thanks Aaron. I have now confirmed that this is what was done. So, my weekend task is to update the model to reflect the changes made in Acad.

thanks to everyone else for their input also!
Oh yeah sure, agree with Aaron. :roll:

;)