PDA

View Full Version : Baluster Challenge

sosalvacion
2010-11-09, 09:42 PM
Hello from a relatively new Revit user!!!

Why do my balusters go beyond my railing ends? See attached images and baluster properties. My railing is sketched as a single path.

Thanks in advance!

rudolfweyers346383
2010-11-10, 10:13 AM
Maybe post the baluster in a project, so we can have a look at it

Munkholm
2010-11-10, 12:28 PM
Hello from a relatively new Revit user!!!

Why do my balusters go beyond my railing ends? See attached images and baluster properties. My railing is sketched as a single path.

Thanks in advance!

The "Baluster" or actually glass panel, won´t flex within the railing system, since the panel have a fixed size.

You "can" mannually calculate the desired with of the panels, and then change the panel to fit. But if the railings need multiple sized panels, you´ll have to make equal amount of panel and railing types....

Personally I don´t use railings for this type og railings, but a custom linebased family.

mthurnauer
2010-11-10, 01:58 PM
I absolutely hate the railing tool. I have tried to post to the wish list that they need to make the railing tool work like the curtainwall tool. You should be able to set up a railing system with a fixed spacing, but then click on a section of the railing and unpin a 'curtain grid;' for lack of a better description. Then you could manually adjust the spacing on an individual panel. The panels would then flex just like a curtain panel. So, In the case of your design, you may actually be able to make this with more control if you used the curtainwall tool. That aside, you may want to see if you can get it to work by changing the setting of break pattern from Never to Each Segment End. My experience suggests that it may not work. Part of the problem with this tool is that the spacing of the railing panels is based on the center line of the panel which may be tricking it into thinking you need one more panel to reach the corner.

STHRevit
2010-11-10, 03:30 PM
We use curtain walls for this type of balustrade. Create a custom million for your handrail and you are good. So much more flexibility this way. The Railing tool sucks in Revit.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-11-10, 04:13 PM
The railing tool is really nice for creating some wild stair designs :lol:

sosalvacion
2010-11-10, 06:06 PM
Thank you for your replies! I'll try curtain walls as suggested.

Munkholm
2010-11-11, 09:29 AM
Yes, the curtain walls can also be used, but I find it easier to create a parametric family for the purpose...

See the attached example, and use what you can of it. :beer: