PDA

View Full Version : My Revit is a Baby

antman
2010-11-12, 04:46 PM
Someone please tell me it will be ok.

I am to the point of realizing that Revit has a level of sophistication that is so far beyond what I can comprehend at this moment, and I'm fighting the feeling that my projects will suffer greatly until I'm there. Is it ok for me to muddle through and do my best, and build it as I go, or am I headed for disaster? I'm sure a lot of you have been here before. Well, I hope so, anyway...

Dave Jones
2010-11-12, 06:10 PM

I am to the point of realizing that Revit has a level of sophistication that is so far beyond what I can comprehend at this moment, and I'm fighting the feeling that my projects will suffer greatly until I'm there. Is it ok for me to muddle through and do my best, and build it as I go, or am I headed for disaster? I'm sure a lot of you have been here before. Well, I hope so, anyway...

I started using Revit about a year ago and I still feel the way you do. I know that I'm going in the right direction but I keep waiting for that disaster just around the corner. So much to learn that it's borderline overwhelming. But, I persist, and with the help of a good instructor I'm getting a bit more comfortable every day. Hang in there!

Munkholm
2010-11-12, 06:12 PM
I believe that all Revit users have that feeling at some point... I´d say that you´ve just entered "phase two" of Revit ( http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3335 )
And rest assured, that going thru the remaining 4 phases is a joy ride ;-)

eric.piotrowicz
2010-11-12, 06:36 PM
It is a learning process and you will most likely havesome hard taught lessons along the way but so have all the rest of us. Like learning anything else, you will make mistakes and learn not to do that again. You have joined the forums here so you have access to a vast amount of knowledge and resources in all of the posts already created here and if you can't find a good answer from searching, create your own post, there are a lot of knowledgable people hanging out here that are willing to help. Several good books available also. If your job is anything like mine there isn't time to work on projects in AutoCAD and then stop at lunch and play around in Revit until you feel ready to do a Revit project. If you haven't had any training you might look into that, if thats not in the budget search for video tutorials and work along side of them. Several members here also have their own Revit blogs with tips and tutorials.
So just dive in, if you get in trouble you know where to find the lifegaurds.:lol:

j_starko
2010-11-12, 08:57 PM

yeah build as you go.

things will make more and more sense the more frequently you use them. and when you think you have it all figured out, there will be something new, or there'll be a new release and they'll move all you buttons around.. again.

the only other option is to go back to paper and pencil.. or gasp... cad.

antman
2010-11-12, 09:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I feel better now. I think. .-)

DaveP
2010-11-12, 09:26 PM
You're probably thinking "But I could have done this so much faster in AutoCAD !".
That may be true, but remember, 10 (or 15, or 20) years ago, you were saying,
"But I could have done this so much faster by hand!".

You've had a decade or more to build up Block libraries, Standards, LISP routines, Menus, and develop procedures. But you didn't create all that in the first month, either. It took that whole decade. So it will take a while in Revit, too. Not a decade, but a year or so.

Last time you had to develop everything from nothing. This time, at least you know where you're going. The main problem this time around is that you're changing the tires or a moving car. You can't stop.

antman
2010-11-12, 09:55 PM
You're probably thinking "But I could have done this so much faster in AutoCAD !".

Actually, every step of the way has convinced me more of the opposite. Once I get it dialed in, I'm sure most of my users will see the light. Of course, there's always the hardcore holdouts who will complain, but at least I'm not one of them. .-)

dzatto
2010-11-12, 10:38 PM
I feel the same way you do. I kept putting off doing a project in Revit. Same lame excuses. "I'm way faster in ACA", "I don't know if I'm doing it correctly", etc. etc.

I finally bit the bullet and started the project I'm working on now in Revit. The modeling was a breeze. Way faster than ACA. I just started detailing the structural today and ran into a few brain freezes, but I pushed through. It's really not the program, it's that you are still thinking CAD thoughts. Free your brain and the rest will follow. I love Revit. No way I'm going back to Xref's. :lol:

gtarch
2010-11-13, 01:41 AM
You've had a decade or more to build up Block libraries, Standards, LISP routines, Menus, and develop procedures. But you didn't create all that in the first month, either. It took that whole decade. So it will take a while in Revit, too. Not a decade, but a year or so.

It took us about a year, once we really got started, just as Dave suggests.

We spent that year gathering and building families. Then throwing them away, and building them over. Then building a template file, which we now update as we go. And then translating all of our ACAD 2d junk (details and so on) and standard notes, title blocks and on and on.

A long year!