PDA

View Full Version : Angled Match line

Bryan Thatcher
2010-11-12, 09:47 PM
I have a match line that's not at a right angle. Also, one of the views may be rotated to fit on the sheet better. I don't believe you can have irregular shaped views. So what are my options for masking the other side of the match line? I could use worksets or filters for the annotation, but what about the model? Any ideas, thanks.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-11-12, 09:59 PM
Views are always rectangular. This might sound really simplistic but what about a masking region aligned to the matchline? Worksets to control visiblity tends to cause more issues than it fixes. Filters also would be a nightmare to manage throughout the project. Masking regions would have to be added for each floor but once you have the first floor the way you wanted it then its a simple copy/paste-->same place. Also if the masking region is done in a family for each area then if it needs to change, its just edit family and reload and every floor is updated.

Bryan Thatcher
2010-11-15, 03:47 PM
I've run into the problem where the mask family appears in both the main view and the dependant view. And I can't put it into the sheet. How would you suggest controlling the visibility of the mask in different views? Thanks.

Alfredo Medina
2010-11-15, 04:27 PM
In the views where a masking region should not go, select it, and do > right click > Hide in view > element. Do the same for the other masking regions needed to hide the other areas. Hide them in the views where they don't go until all the views display correctly.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-11-15, 04:46 PM
Giving my suggestion more thought I realized that it might won't work for what you need to do. A different route could be to add the masking region families into the titleblock and assign them a visibility instance parameter. Placing the view on sheets will require some adjusting since we can't snap views in place. Making the matchline edge of the masking region a visible linetype (atleast temporarily) would give you a visual reference to position the view on the sheet.

Bryan Thatcher
2010-11-15, 05:43 PM
I'm going to go with hiding it in the parent view. But now I'm having an issue with draw order. How do I get the mask region family to mask the model elements? 'Draw in foreground' is checked in the family. Thanks.

Alfredo Medina
2010-11-15, 06:27 PM
Draw your masking region(s) in the parent view, with invisible lines.
Then hide the masking region(s) in the parent view because in this one, you want to see the whole plan.
Go to each dependent view and do right click > hide in view > element only to the masking region(s) that don't apply to the view.
Duplicate the parent view, so that you can show it in a different scale, as the overall plan.
Arrange the sheets to show Overall plan, Area A, Area B, etc.

See a very rough example in .rvt format (attached)

Bryan Thatcher
2010-11-18, 02:11 PM
OK, I'm just making sure there isn't a better way of doing this. I got a masking system workaround to work. But, it's a quarter of a million square foot building, 7 models/disciplines with a lot of angles and sheets. It's going to be a lot of work. Is this really the only way?