PDA

View Full Version : Floor + Wall cleanup

TanelF
2010-11-18, 04:17 PM
I have attached two files. One of them is a screenshot from autocad showing the correct floor and wall connection. I'm trying to achieve the same thing in revit arch 2011.

I haven't been able to figure out how to stop the floor insulation from entering the wall. It should stop at the interior face of the wall, while the concrete would extend into the core.

Anyone know how to separate different floor layers from each other?

eddy.lermytte
2010-11-18, 07:35 PM
Use Join Tool > Wall - Floor.
Have a look at the Properties of Wall and Floor > Edit Type > set Function

TanelF
2010-11-19, 08:42 AM
If I use the join tool, then both the insulation and the concrete of the floor are cut into the wall. But only the concrete should extend to the core.

Munkholm
2010-11-19, 11:31 AM
I haven't been able to figure out how to stop the floor insulation from entering the wall. It should stop at the interior face of the wall, while the concrete would extend into the core.

You need to edit the floor structure, and make sure that the insulation (and anything above) is outside the Core Boundary, and the structure of these layers are set properly (Thermal/Air and Finish).

Also, make sure that the Floor Core and the Wall Core is NOT set to the same material - In which case they would join, and not cut ;-)

alecsx_vizibil582510
2010-11-19, 11:56 AM
Hi I'm new hear, just ran into such a problem at a project at school, found multiple solutions.

You could create a model in place void component and make a void and cut the geometry. I'ts a bit complicated and i woun't go into detail.

You could do the same to cut the wall, or create a stacked wall and play around with it till you get the exact matches.

You could place a new floor on top of that and make separate floors, one extending to the wall face and another to the wall interior.

And the best option you have is to go into "Edit Type" for both wall and floor, click Edit.. on the structure column. and then play with the diff function types.. You have to understand that when using join geometry Revit automates the joining by using these functions.. that have priority levels in this order: Structure, Substrate, Thermal air layer, Finish 1, Finish 2... cause the membrane layer wount be visible. So if the wall is structure and the floor is substrate the wall will cut through the floor.. mix em up and you should get you're answer.

Alfredo Medina
2010-11-19, 01:50 PM
Besides all the options mentioned before, there is also a 2D graphic solution, only visible in the detail or section where it is applied: View > Cut profile > Face or Boundary between faces.

Munkholm
2010-11-19, 02:31 PM
Besides all the options mentioned before, there is also a 2D graphic solution, only visible in the detail or section where it is applied: View > Cut profile > Face or Boundary between faces.

Very true ! Just beware that using the Cut Profile is view dependant - So if there´s multiple sections and/or details, you´ll have to use the Cut Profile for each view ;-)

TanelF
2010-11-30, 08:11 AM
Ok, so I have been able to pinpoint the problem. Floor and Wall joins are correct ONLY if the wall is higher than than the floor. Look at the left image ... in that case I have offset the floor by -1mm and everything cleans up perfectly. BUT when the floor offset is 0mm (right image) then the cleanup is not the way it should be.

I have also attached the Test RFA (version 2011) file if someone wants to take a look.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in Revit Architecture 2011?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4567679/Test%20Wall%20Join.rvt

Munkholm
2010-11-30, 09:14 AM
Odd... Never noticed this before...

You "could" just make a Wall Reveal instead of joining the wall and floor...

TanelF
2010-11-30, 11:13 AM
Reveal will not work because I'm using the same wall in different places and cleanups should be based on layer priorities... eg. structure, thermal, finishing etc.