PDA

View Full Version : Setting default view template for all FUTURE views?

patricks
2010-11-22, 04:53 PM
I must be missing it somewhere, but isn't there a way to set up a particular view type to use a default view template for all future views of that type created?

twiceroadsfool
2010-11-22, 04:57 PM
I must be missing it somewhere, but isn't there a way to set up a particular view type to use a default view template for all future views of that type created?

Yeah, its stupid. Its not in the View Template SETTINGS, where it should be. Right click on a floor plan, and say "Apply View Template." When it brings up the list of VT's, youll see a check box bottom left that says "Apply this to all new views of this type."

So youll need to do it for plans, rcp's, sections, elevations, 3d, etc.

We keep a "Default VT" thats "slightly" different than all of our production ones, but still has overrides for all linked files, certain categories, etc.

patricks
2010-11-22, 05:01 PM
We keep a "Default VT" thats "slightly" different than all of our production ones, but still has overrides for all linked files, certain categories, etc.

We use VT's somewhat, but not as much as I would like for us to. It seems like we're always creating and setting up templates on every project, which I'd like to remedy.

I guess you use a "default VT" that applies to ALL views at first, and then you go through and apply your other "production" VT's as work progresses?

patricks
2010-11-22, 05:03 PM
Wait, so I did this for our Interior Elevation type, but it looks like it applies the same default template to ALL elevations, regardless of elevation family type. Is that really what's going on?? :banghead:

twiceroadsfool
2010-11-22, 05:31 PM
Wait, so I did this for our Interior Elevation type, but it looks like it applies the same default template to ALL elevations, regardless of elevation family type. Is that really what's going on?? :banghead:

Yep. Thats why i have one called "Default Elevation," that doesnt actually apply anything specific for Int's or Ext's, it just shuts off certain things, cleans up Linked Files levels and grids, sets LOD, turns off certain annotations, etc.

t1.shep
2010-11-22, 06:32 PM
You can, I'm sure you know, select multiple views in the project browser and apply a specific view template later on, once you've set up the appropriate view settings.

twiceroadsfool
2010-11-22, 06:50 PM
You can, I'm sure you know, select multiple views in the project browser and apply a specific view template later on, once you've set up the appropriate view settings.

Yes, but it is nice to have every Plan at least start with a better baseline than "everything by category/by host view."

The Linked File Levels and Grids is a great example. With the exception of our Master Coordination View, i dont EVER want to see EVERYONES levels and grids. So when i make a new plan... Sure, i have to apply a view template to it at some point. But having to go through it right away, just to kill levels and grids, is ridiculous.

So our Default-Plan, Default-Elevation, Default-Section, and Default-RCP View templates have that stuff done already.

t1.shep
2010-11-22, 07:22 PM
Yes, but it is nice to have every Plan at least start with a better baseline than "everything by category/by host view."

The Linked File Levels and Grids is a great example. With the exception of our Master Coordination View, i dont EVER want to see EVERYONES levels and grids. So when i make a new plan... Sure, i have to apply a view template to it at some point. But having to go through it right away, just to kill levels and grids, is ridiculous.

So our Default-Plan, Default-Elevation, Default-Section, and Default-RCP View templates have that stuff done already.

Very true, I was thinking as an addition to your method. Once you have the base view template applied, you could still have the specific view template created and applied later.

twiceroadsfool
2010-11-22, 07:25 PM
Very true, I was thinking as an addition to your method. Once you have the base view template applied, you could still have the specific view template created and applied later.

Yep. Thats exactly what we do. The "Default" VT's dont specify a "View purpose" (which is just a text parameter we use to organize the browser), but they do some general cleanup. Then, when the real VT gets applied, it gets full effect, and moves the view to the right spot in the browser.

james.79392
2011-01-25, 05:53 PM

I guess I'm missing something. I'm setting this up in our template now, and I can't figure out how to turn off linked levels and grids in the templates when there are no links.

Thanks,
James

Steve_Stafford
2011-01-25, 06:26 PM
...I can't figure out how to turn off linked levels and grids in the templates when there are no links...They put "dummy" linked RVT project files in their template setup. This way they replace these links with real project file references later and the template changes are already in play. So there are placeholder project files linked in so they can map them in advance. It does require some rigor to get others to provide files in sync with this technique.

DaveP
2011-01-26, 07:04 PM
When it brings up the list of VT's, youll see a check box bottom left that says "Apply this to all new views of this type."

That's something I've never quite understood.
What does "of this type" mean?
As Pat:banghead:rick says, it seems to be at a pretty coarse level:

ALL Floor Plans
ALL Elevations
ALL Sections
etc
It would be nice if "type" for View Templates meant the same as "Type" does everywhere else in Revit. Then you could have a Default View Template for Floor Plans
and another for Floor Plan Callouts.
Or one for Interior Elevations and one for Exterior Elevations.
Or one for Building Sections, one for Wall Sections, and one for Detail Sections.
You get the idea.