PDA

View Full Version : Continued dimensions

Archman
2003-10-07, 07:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with quadrant floorplans in Revit, and if so how you dealt with continuated dimensions like the clouded ones in the attachment.

Also related, can you do radial dimensions that do not go all the way to the work point. I would like to just dimension the radius, but keep the dimension graphic short.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-07, 08:23 PM
For continued you could play a game with the "cut" feature of a viewport. Clicking on the cutline symbol of a viewport will break it into "chunks". The you can arrange them, dimension the two points and it will give you a real dimension. The note can be a suffix in properties and if you don't want to see the other end, a filled region might work to "whiteout" that portion.

A simpler and unsophisticated answer would be a leader and text.

Unfortunately that's the same answer for your radial dimensions. I think the dimensions tools are a very weak aspect of Revit from formatting and non-linear dimensioning standpoint.

Archman
2003-10-07, 08:45 PM
Thanks Q.

I suspected the solution would be as such. If it's not already there, maybe this should be a wishlist item?

PeterJ
2003-10-08, 08:54 AM
Perhaps we require an annotation dimension type and a live dimension type such that in those exceptional cases where you need a faked dim or something which need to relate to something that you don't have drawn, such as the face of an existing building for setting out purposes, you can use the annotation type to make a dimension note.

This doesn't sit well with Revit's general style but might be a useful adjunct.

mgallin
2003-12-20, 08:03 PM
The more I use Revit the more I see that the described issues are problematic. Even in a smart model, overriding dimensions with plain text is required and when dimensioning a large radius it is essential to be able to truncate the radial line. I also find that radial dimensions do not work when the center is across a cropped region. See attached.

sbrown
2003-12-20, 09:07 PM
Yes there are a few work arounds you must get comfortable in Revit, but they are very few in comparison to the amount of work revit saves you. For the radial dimensions, just create yourself a labeled annotation family with an instance parameter for the line length and a filled region for the arrow. YOu can make similar annotation families for the continued dimension example. these are really quite simple and you will save time in the long run creating them now.

You may also want to make a few diff. arrow head families that match what you used to use in autocad so if you bring in old details and the arrow heads or ticks dissappear as they usually do, you can just pop in a bunch of your own revit arrow heads(whats cool is you can add leaders to any annotation family so your arrows can have tails if you want.