PDA

View Full Version : Move in z-direction in 3d view?

nextvkin
2010-11-28, 06:08 AM
Hi all,
I'm building some shelves using an instance component so that I can stretch it to any size I need. The problem I have is I can't move or copy the shelves in the z-direction in 3d view, without having to open the dialog box and changing the elevation value, or doing it in elevation views. Thanks.

Alfredo Medina
2010-11-28, 01:20 PM
Try to move the object from an elevation view, doing this: Modify > Move > from the options bar uncheck "Constrain" and check "Disjoin" > move the object. For the Copy tool, just uncheck "Constrain".

See illustration.

nextvkin
2010-11-29, 04:28 AM
Thanks Alfredo, so what you're saying is in 3d view moving/copying is only possible along the ground plane, whereas moving anything up or down will have to be done in elevation views, right?

tropitech
2010-11-29, 08:50 AM
Thanks Alfredo, so what you're saying is in 3d view moving/copying is only possible along the ground plane, whereas moving anything up or down will have to be done in elevation views, right?

Not neccessarily, if you have set a vertical working plane in 3d view you will be able to move/copy objects vertically, just make sure you apply constrain/disjoin settings as alfredo mentioned. sometimes multiple objects should be grouped before moving or copying to ensure consistent object coordinates. for obvious reasons floor/horizontal face based objects will not copy or move vertically!

nextvkin
2010-11-30, 02:32 AM
You're right tropitech, in '3d view' if I went to one of those side on views I could do that, however I meant in real 3d view, meaning not side on, but isometric or similar. (Would be nice if we could).

rtaube
2010-11-30, 03:21 AM
I've been using Bentley Microstation on a recent project, and they have a nice keyboard shortcut that toggles between XY, XZ, and YZ axes for translations, rotations, and measuring. I think it would be a nice feature in Revit.