PDA

View Full Version : After Drawing Exterior Boundry Walls, Which r Next MAIN Successive Modeling Steps to complete a Model to show to a client

bingles7
2011-01-14, 09:01 AM
After drawing exterior boundary walls in revit, which are Next Main Successive Modeling Steps, to complete a house model, to show to a client.

Actually, after learning Revit, this is my 1st project. I know how to draw walls, ceilings, floor, roof and so on but In Random Order.. . All I wants to know the Right Order of Drawing them , that draw this after this, and draw this after this, so please instruct like this.

thanks

gtarch
2011-01-14, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry, but there is not right way to do this.

You would model what you need to model, based on what the project or client requires, in my opinion.

sbrown
2011-01-14, 08:22 PM
Actually there definately is an order. Walls first, then you create floor, roof, and ceiling assemblies by using the "pick wall" tool and typically extending into core. this way when you move the walls, your ceilings, floors, etc. update. If you don't use the walls you will have to edit everything manually.

bingles7
2011-01-16, 03:05 PM
Thanks gentlemen - it is a good tip to create project faster.

STHRevit
2011-01-18, 01:32 AM
Scott is correct.
It is all about using the program to it's full potential. Let the software do the work by using elements which interact with each other to adjust the model.

The only issue I have with this on occasion is if a stepped wall is moved to line up, you may get an error stating that "A Line is too small. Delete element" this will be either the floor slab or the ceiling folding back on itself, which Revit sometimes seems to struggle with.

Once you are familiar with objects interacting with each other you will soon work out the workflow.

bcm2345
2011-01-18, 03:44 AM
if a stepped wall is moved to line up, you may get an error.

yes and if you start a project with only the walls and you continue attaching elements to them-
you'll get PLENTY of "errors" trying to line those walls up with wherever the floor and foundation
will have to go according to the site topo.. i would like someone to post a reason why you
would not start with the site topo and foundation and floors.. that's why i'm here at AUGI
to learn things like this..

STHRevit
2011-01-18, 04:49 AM
yes and if you start a project with only the walls and you continue attaching elements to them-
you'll get PLENTY of "errors" trying to line those walls up with wherever the floor and foundation
will have to go according to the site topo.. i would like someone to post a reason why you
would not start with the site topo and foundation and floors.. that's why i'm here at AUGI
to learn things like this..

I guess it depends on what you mean by foundation I guess. Are you talking wall foundations, Foundation slab or isolated foundation?
The wall and isolated require walls and columns to host them, so that is why you wouldn't start with them, you won't have elements to host them to.

Typically we would start by creating levels in a section view to use to set heights ie Top of Footing, Floor Level, parapet levels etc.

We use Wall foundations that are hosted by walls, so the reason we don't start with foundations is that there are no walls present to host the foundations.

Its all about getting the program to work for you.
If you model the slab first and then the walls, when the wall moves, the slab edge won't. You will then have to manually edit the slab footprint. You are creating work for yourself. I guess you could place the floor and then align + Lock the wall to the slab edge. This would update the slab if the wall is moved, however it is still more "clicks".

If you placed the walls first and then create the slab using the pick walls tool, when the wall moves the slab edge updates. It's just faster and will look correct in section, by telling the slab to join the wall and remove the appropriate portion.

Another way to look at it is like this. The slab does not always follow the line of the wall. When you do a building design, you tend to plot the building outline to create the form / shape of the building which the walls will follow. The walls will generally dictate the building footprint required on the site.

bcm2345
2011-01-18, 05:12 AM
The walls will generally dictate the building footprint required on the site.

thanks for that thorough description of the situation.. that gives everyone enough pros and cons to make
their own choice.. i was just taught- and my personal logic tells me- the opposite- that the site dictates
the building footprint.. not only the topo- but everything else about the site.. thanks again- you have been
a big help to me..

bcm2345
2011-01-18, 05:22 AM
it would be wonderful if we could get some registered architects
to come to the AUGI Revit forum and help us out..

STHRevit
2011-01-18, 06:59 AM
thanks for that thorough description of the situation.. that gives everyone enough pros and cons to make
their own choice.. i was just taught- and my personal logic tells me- the opposite- that the site dictates
the building footprint.. not only the topo- but everything else about the site.. thanks again- you have been
a big help to me..

Glad I could help.

No question at all, the site boundary will dictate the building to a point and you must design within the boundaries of the site or building envelope.
It might be some confusion with terminology, when you say topo, I automatically think of creating a 3d topo surface of the site.
To me, this doesn't need to be done prior to any modelling of the building, All you need is a 2d cad file of the survey, link it into your model and you have your site boundaries, site information and levels noted.

As long as we have kept the building design and layout within our building envelope on the site and the relevant levels are worked to, there is no need for a 3d topo as a first action.

bcm2345
2011-01-18, 08:04 AM
might be some confusion with terminology, when you say topo..

topography: a : the configuration of a surface including its relief and the position of its natural and man-made features..

for example- since half of the land on the surface of the
earth is not flat- you might need to build on sloping land..
and unless you put the building up on piers or move the
earth- you may need multiple levels where the walls would
be in a different location than you might otherwise think..

if you start a project by drawing all the walls on level one-
you might need to move some or all of them to other
levels- along with trying to drag everything connected
to those walls with them..

but like i said- the NAME of Revit is "revise instantly"- so
in many cases you might just go ahead and start with
the walls.. at least if you are sure the land will be flat and
it doesn't matter which way the building goes- and you
have a good idea of what kind of foundation and floor
you will be using..

some of these Revit questions require more in-depth
explanations- like this one- and that gets tricky because
Autodesk these days would like to have it where Revit
users can search for quick Revit answers and questions-
(in order to sell more copies of Revit).. these words will
instantly show up on Google where thousands of Revit
users searching for answers can read.. almost like
working for Autodesk in a way- giving quick Revit answers..
but i tend to agree with this approach to a certain extent..
and i'm trying to limit my replies also..

at least AUGI has "out there" for serious Revit discussion-
although i don't really think it's functional at this time..
and i don't even know if it would interfer with this search
idea- hopfully not..

infact- this last part of my reply here could very well
be edited out by a forum moderator.. i'm trying my best
to help make the Revit AUGI forum better than ever- but
the problem is- everyone has a different idea of how to
make something better..

STHRevit
2011-01-18, 08:46 AM
topography: a : the configuration of a surface including its relief and the position of its natural and man-made features..

Yes, I understand the definition of topo.
Lets look at that in respect to the use of Revit.

The Phrase topo in Revit would be in reference to creating a 3d topo surface.
We are also discussing the order of modeling / placing elements.
Put simply, a topo surface, as per the definition above, created as a 3d element is not required prior to any other elements.

bcm2345
2011-01-18, 08:50 AM
Yes, I understand the definition of topo.
Lets look at that in respect to the use of Revit.

The Phrase topo in Revit would be in reference to creating a 3d topo surface.
We are also discussing the order of modeling / placing elements.
Put simply, a topo surface, as per the definition above, created as a 3d element is not required prior to any other elements.

sounds good to me..

bingles7
2011-02-19, 02:52 PM
Thanks, your recommendations are good.

Please tell that when Rooms should be define?
And
Which "Element Schedules", Architects Generally make?

Mike Sealander
2011-02-19, 05:18 PM
I find the young folks in my office want to start designing a project on screen, and while this begins to be possible with Revit (such as with masses), I find it is almost always more fruitful to use a pen on paper first, usually in conjunction with a spreadsheet for programming areas.
I like to draw grid lines and level lines prior to drawing building components. I usually draw walls before floors, but it's because walls are easier to sketch out and modify than floors are.
We're starting to use Masses a lot more now, but we use them in conjunction with grids and levels, even when we are being more or less free-form.