PDA

View Full Version : Any "filled region" resolution?

mikefields27
2005-01-03, 03:24 PM
I am wondering if there has been any progress on the filled region issue [original post by MrSpot on Nov 2nd]. Our Revit V.7 disc just came in the mail, and I don't want to upgrade, unless I know that this huge glitch has been resolved.

Modeling is great, but if, in a pinch, you cannot cover up a glitch it renders the program useless for ConDocs.

[Mostly this is a question and not a complaint]

-mikefields-

Gadget Man
2005-01-04, 12:04 AM
On the advice from somebody, I use Filled Region with solid fill set to 254,254,254 rather than 255,255,255. The difference in print (between "White" and this slightly darker "White") is none, but it covers my unwanted areas perfectly, without turning in print to black (as it happens with "pure" 255,255,255 White).

Speaking of Filled Regions, I will post a different question (problem) on the Forum right after I finish this.

Jerry

Gadget Man
2005-01-04, 12:28 AM
I've got some problems with Filled Regions, I think that the following example will describe it the best:

When I use several different Filled Regions ("Earth", "Sand", "Concrete", etc.) while detailing the section in the Section view, all works just fine. Then I insert this View into the Sheet and add some adnotations (still on the sheet). The adnotations that are positioned partially or fully over Filled Region (including their arrows) disappear UNDER (!!!) those Regions (partially or fully - respectively). I tried even to send the Filled Regions all the way "to back" - "behind" other objects, but that didn't help. And funny thing is, that while the parts (or whole) of the adnotations don't show on the screen, the still print correctly over the fills... until I use two or more Regions (one partially on the top of the other - overlaping). Then the adnotations not only don't show on the screen, they don't print either (or their "covered" parts...)

What puzzles me the most is, that while Regions are parts of a View (ACAD "model space"), the adnotations are on the Sheet ("paper space"), so why they should be affected?

Any ideas?

Puzzled Jerry.

beegee
2005-01-04, 12:43 AM
Jerry,

If you place the annotation in the view, not on the sheet view, they will show correct visibility.

Filled regions placed on a sheet view, will obscure any elements in the sheet view ( annotations or titleblock ).

This is the same problem mentioned in the previous thread, so I'm going to merge these threads.

beegee
2005-01-04, 12:54 AM
I am wondering if there has been any progress on the filled region issue .................I don't want to upgrade, unless I know that this huge glitch has been resolved.
-mikefields-Mike, the problem mentioned in Mr. Spot's thread, ( White Fill Regions (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=10302&page=1&pp=10)in 7.0, can obscure parts of the title block), is still there. In most cases it can be overcome by judicious positioning of the crop border. It becomes a problem only if you are attempting to hide something like a radial dimension that runs off the sheet view.

mikefields27
2005-01-04, 02:49 PM
Thanks, BeeGee.

That was the issue I was referring to. I think I may hold off until 7.1 because this fundementally interferes with our conception of workarounds in Revit. Not sure how one would do detailing without modelling everything if we can't put anything ontop of a fill...? 6.1 Is still an impressive tool. I will try not to blame this on Autodesk.

Oh well.

beegee
2005-01-04, 09:47 PM
You can still place a fill to hide elements in a view without a problem. You can place annotations over that fill. You just need to be careful that the filled region does not overlap your title block, when you place the detail view on your sheet, that's all. Thats usually not a problem to do anyway, using crop regions. If you have a copy of 7.0, I suggest you give it a try. There are so many good things in 7.0 that you'll miss otherwise.

>>>. Not sure how one would do detailing without modelling everything if we can't put anything ontop of a fill...? .

J. Grouchy
2005-01-05, 02:07 PM
I've got some problems with Filled Regions, I think that the following example will describe it the best:

When I use several different Filled Regions ("Earth", "Sand", "Concrete", etc.) while detailing the section in the Section view, all works just fine. Then I insert this View into the Sheet and add some adnotations (still on the sheet). The adnotations that are positioned partially or fully over Filled Region (including their arrows) disappear UNDER (!!!) those Regions (partially or fully - respectively). I tried even to send the Filled Regions all the way "to back" - "behind" other objects, but that didn't help. And funny thing is, that while the parts (or whole) of the adnotations don't show on the screen, the still print correctly over the fills... until I use two or more Regions (one partially on the top of the other - overlaping). Then the adnotations not only don't show on the screen, they don't print either (or their "covered" parts...)

What puzzles me the most is, that while Regions are parts of a View (ACAD "model space"), the adnotations are on the Sheet ("paper space"), so why they should be affected?

Any ideas?

Puzzled Jerry.
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of putting the notes on the sheet rather than in the view.

gbrowne
2005-01-05, 02:15 PM
It might be a throwback from regular acad? So the text is drawing specific?

Old habits die hard...

mikefields27
2005-01-05, 02:35 PM
A good reason to put notes [not dimensions] on the sheet is so that one can work on the model, unencumbered. It beats having to turn the notes off and on when working in a view. Granted you need to check the sheet to make sure the arrows all point where they should before printing, but it is a matter of where you want to put your time.

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-05, 02:53 PM
Personally I'd prefer to have working views that are used to work on the model that don't get any annotation. Then use another view for documentation that gets all the trimmings. Rather than put them on a sheet.

J. Grouchy
2005-01-05, 03:51 PM
A good reason to put notes [not dimensions] on the sheet is so that one can work on the model, unencumbered. It beats having to turn the notes off and on when working in a view. Granted you need to check the sheet to make sure the arrows all point where they should before printing, but it is a matter of where you want to put your time.
Never been an issue for me...but then, if there were one way to do it, we wouldn't have a choice. (I think someone's signature line says something to that effect...zoog, maybe? )

bclarch
2005-01-05, 04:49 PM
This is another situation where a visibility toggle would be useful. All of the anotation objects could be assigned to a selection set that could be toggled on and off to provide a clean working view. See my wishlist request here. (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=945)

David Conant
2005-01-05, 06:10 PM
Open View|Visibility/Graphics (VG). Go to the Annotation Categories tab. At the top there is a check box "Show annotation categories in this view". Uncheck it and you will have you clean view. Check it and you will see your annotations again. Individual category settings are not changed by this checkbox.

Scott Hopkins
2005-01-05, 09:09 PM
Open View|Visibility/Graphics (VG). Go to the Annotation Categories tab. At the top there is a check box "Show annotation categories in this view". Uncheck it and you will have you clean view. Check it and you will see your annotations again. Individual category settings are not changed by this checkbox.
Good tip David. Even better would be if you could toggle this on and off with a keyboard shortcut.

bclarch
2005-01-05, 09:21 PM
That works well enough for this specific example regarding all annotations (still one command and two or three mouse clicks). My wishlist item would allow for more flexibility since you could set up custom selection sets that include some, but not necessarily all, items from a number of categories.

LRaiz
2005-01-05, 09:33 PM
That works well enough for this specific example regarding all annotations (still one command and two or three mouse clicks). My wishlist item would allow for more flexibility since you could set up custom selection sets that include some, but not necessarily all, items from a number of categories.Would not applying view templates accomplish what you are looking for?

Gadget Man
2005-01-06, 12:32 AM
Why to put the Notes on the Sheet?

If you place the annotation in the view, not on the sheet view, they will show correct visibility.

and

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of putting the notes on the sheet rather than in the view.

When I put several Elevation or Section views on one sheet, then I can annotate them globally on the sheet - and I mean positioning of the notes against each other, pointing the arrows and generally trying to squeeze notes on the sheets in between other notes and Elevations or Sections themself. Also, I often position the notes, so they overlap other Elevations "view boxes". Matter of sheet's composition I think, but I like the freedom of composing my sheet the way I LIKE, and NOT the way the software lets me. Frankly, I couldn't imagine to have to annotate my views in the View. Of course, I never dimension anything on the sheet, but NOTES - that is totally different matter.

In any case it doesn't "absolve" the program from behaving like it does - I can't think of any other software behaving that way...

And to answer to:

Filled regions placed on a sheet view, will obscure any elements in the sheet view ( annotations or titleblock ).

As I mentioned in my original post, what puzzles me the most is, that while Regions are placed in the View (!!!!!!!!!), the annotations are on the Sheet (!!!!!!!), so why they should be affected anyway?

Jerry.

beegee
2005-01-06, 12:42 AM
The behaviour of white filled patterns changed between 6.1 and 7.0 and has been acknowledged by the developers as a problem to be investigated / fixed.

We are looking into restoring 6.1 behavior, so don't update things unless you have to.

As I mentioned in my original post, what puzzles me the most is, that while Regions are placed in the View (!!!!!!!!!), the annotations are on the Sheet (!!!!!!!), so why they should be affected anyway?
Jerry.

bclarch
2005-01-06, 04:04 PM
Would not applying view templates accomplish what you are looking for?
No. View templates control by category or subcategory. This would work for the above discussion but my wishlist post concerned controlling a selection set that might contain a number of individual objects (i.e. one of three roofs, two walls, a row of cabinets) while leaving the other objects in those categories visible (the other two roofs, all of the other walls, all of the other cabinets). If you turn the visibility of a group like this back on you lose the selection set and have to reselect the set if you want to turn them off again. It would be nice to be able to save such a selection set, then be able to toggle it on and off regardless of what other work is done to the model in the interim.

narlee
2005-01-06, 08:38 PM
I ran across another instance where the "white-filled-regions" problems created an annoyance. Since viewports come only in rectangular shape, I sometimes overlap corners of viewports, in order to fit viewport images onto the sheet. Since viewports don't have the ability to have an opaque background, I "white-out" portions of the underlying viewport. But now, the white-out whites out the overlying viewport. Using categories to hide portions of the underlying viewport doesn't work because of the limitations of putting different individual walls and such into different subcategories. So I put the underlying objects-to-white-out in a different workset and turn it off. This is not efficient even though I use worksets a lot because those objects now have to go into a "Temp Off For Worksheet" workset, if you will.

Geof Narlee.