PDA

View Full Version : Slab edge on sloped slab

MikeJarosz
2011-01-17, 09:13 PM
I am modeling a loading dock. The slab edges are protected with a steel channel embedded into the cast-in-place slab. There is a ramp down from the dock to the truck parking area. I can add a slab edge profile to the flat slab, but Revit will not take a slab edge for the sloped slab. I have tried both a ramp and a sloping slab. Neither seems to work.

Any comments?

Steve_Stafford
2011-01-17, 09:44 PM
In-place family will get you there. If you use the same profile family for both it'll match. It won't miter in the corner so you'll have to fuss with it a bit there. You'll also have to cut off the extra with a void at either end. Looks pretty steep! :)

MikeJarosz
2011-01-17, 09:52 PM
It's an existing condition and it is very steep. It was built in 1954, long before ADA and other codes. We will be replacing it.

Thanks for the advice, Steve. I take it that the answer to the question is "no, you can't add a slab edge directly to a sloping slab."

Steve_Stafford
2011-01-17, 09:58 PM
You probably could apply it along the horizontal edges but won't be able to along the sloped sides. Seems to be a bias for floors. We can apply "fascia" to a roof's gable end. I suppose you could distort reality and use a roof to do it...but that would be "bad". :evil:

m20roxxers
2011-01-17, 10:25 PM
If you add the slab edge to the flat slab before you slope it, it will adjust when you add a slope arrow.

However the ends might require a tidy up but you can use slab edges on the ends of the sloped slab to clean up.

MikeJarosz
2011-01-17, 10:38 PM
Interesting..... I'll try that!

dhurtubise
2011-01-18, 12:35 PM
Like m20roxxers said it will work if you add the slope arrow before. Modifying sub-elements wont do it.

MikeJarosz
2011-01-18, 02:49 PM
Well. I tried edge first, slope second. The edge channel profile is 1 3/4". You can see it around the flat dock edge in the attachment.

I added it to the flat ramp and it looked correct -- 1 3/4" along the edge. Then I added the slope arrow. The attachment shows the result. It wrapped the tread surface!!!!!. With a perfect mitre to the dock edge!!!

MikeJarosz
2011-01-18, 03:08 PM
I tried it again. This time it worked.

I think I got the previous result using the flip arrows.

As Marty Rozmanith once told me "It's an undocumented feature, not a bug!"