PDA

View Full Version : Can Not Select All Instances of a Family Yet Instances Reported on Deletion

dkoch
2011-01-21, 12:38 AM
Using Revit Architecture 2010.

We have an equipment consultant who created a separate Revit model for their equipment. With the project now in construction, there are changes that need to be made and the equipment consultant is unable to make the Revit changes, so I get to do it. Equipment in the model is represented via Specialty Equipment families. The family name is the same as the "code" the equipment consultant uses to identify each piece of equipment.

One of the changes is that a new type of cart is being added to the project. During the design phase, there were a number of revisions to the equipment, and, apparently, at one time this cart (or at least one using the same "code") was part of the project. Not realizing this, I created a new family for the added cart type and would prefer to use my new family. I discovered that there already was such a family when I tried to load the family I made into the equipment model. I cancelled the load because I am certain that the original family will not have the same origin, etc., as mine.

In the Project Browser, I found the family that was already in the model. I right clicked on the sole type, and the option to Select All Instances was grayed out in the context menu. I took that to mean that there were no instances to select and that the family had simply not been purged out when this equipment was previously deleted from the project. But when I tried to delete the family, I got a dialog that indicated that the family and four instances would be deleted. If there are in fact four instances, why can it not select them?

I am not willing to just delete the family without knowing where these instances are and whether I need to keep them. I used a filter to make this family display with orange lines at lineweight 16, and did not see anything in the project area suddenly turn into an orange blob. For the time being, I have renamed this family and the type so that I can add my new family and add the instances of it that I need, but if anyone can offer any advice as to how I can track down the unselectable instances of the original family, I would be glad to hear it.

rosskirby
2011-01-21, 01:20 AM
Here's one idea. Create a generic 3D view, and create an instance of the old cart in the view. Select that instance, right-click and choose select all instances in view, and then isolate the objects. That should give you an idea of where they are.

Is it possible that someone copy-monitored the carts from the consultants file? Just throwing out ideas here. Let us know what you find.

dkoch
2011-01-21, 01:40 PM
Here's one idea. Create a generic 3D view, and create an instance of the old cart in the view. Select that instance, right-click and choose select all instances in view, and then isolate the objects. That should give you an idea of where they are.

Is it possible that someone copy-monitored the carts from the consultants file? Just throwing out ideas here. Let us know what you find.
Thanks for your reply. I did open a 3D view, added an instance of theold cart, selected it, right clicked and chose Select All Instances. Only one object (the one I added) was selected.

I do not believe that these objects were copy/monitored.

I can live with having the renamed "old" family in the model, whether or not there are any actual instances in the model. I was just curious as to why instances were being reported when I tried to delete the family, yet none could be selected.

DaveP
2011-01-21, 03:43 PM
Design Options?
Phasing?
Groups?

If your family is inside a Group or a non-active Design Option, it may not be selectable.
Ditto for a non-current Phase, but that would be more View specific. Shouldn't affect the Project Browser.

Is there any way you can get the Element ID? That might help you find them, but I suppose its a Catch-22. You can't select them to get the Element ID, which would help you select them...

Since this is Specialty Equipment, maybe you could create a schedule to help locate it. Load up the schedule with every field available, and all of the "Select fields from" as well. That might tell you which Room it's in. Or at least which Level.

Good luck hunting.

dkoch
2011-01-21, 10:34 PM
Design Options?
Phasing?
Groups?

If your family is inside a Group or a non-active Design Option, it may not be selectable.
Ditto for a non-current Phase, but that would be more View specific. Shouldn't affect the Project Browser.

Is there any way you can get the Element ID? That might help you find them, but I suppose its a Catch-22. You can't select them to get the Element ID, which would help you select them...

Since this is Specialty Equipment, maybe you could create a schedule to help locate it. Load up the schedule with every field available, and all of the "Select fields from" as well. That might tell you which Room it's in. Or at least which Level.

Good luck hunting.
Thanks for the suggestions.

There are a number of Groups in the model, but I have been able to select other Specialty Equipment that was in a Group. There are no Design Options in the model. There are only two phases, Existing and New Construction.

I created a Specialty Equipment Schedule and sorted it by Family Name. When set to Existing, there were no items in the Schedule. When set to New Construction, there were no instances of the old Family listed in the Schedule. (The new family did show up.)

It is curious, but I think I have run out of time to pursue this much further. As long as there are no visible instances of the old family, I can live with having the family in the model. Thanks again for your help.

david_peterson
2011-01-21, 11:05 PM

For the life of me I can't remember what it's called but we have it in our office. It's a little add-on or something that yes you can search by element ID or a variety other things. You then get an option to delete those elements. Ahh what was it called.

DaveP
2011-01-22, 12:37 AM
You're probably thinking of either the Ideate Explorer:
http://www.ideateexplorer.com/index.php

or RevitTools
http://www.revittools.com/

Scott Womack
2011-01-24, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

There are a number of Groups in the model, but I have been able to select other Specialty Equipment that was in a Group. There are no Design Options in the model. There are only two phases, Existing and New Construction.

I created a Specialty Equipment Schedule and sorted it by Family Name. When set to Existing, there were no items in the Schedule. When set to New Construction, there were no instances of the old Family listed in the Schedule. (The new family did show up.)

It is curious, but I think I have run out of time to pursue this much further. As long as there are no visible instances of the old family, I can live with having the family in the model. Thanks again for your help.

Look at Legend Views. T^he select all instances will NOT select elements that are in a Legend view.

dkoch
2011-01-24, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked, and the medical equipment Revit model does not have any Legend views defined. But I will try to remember that for future reference.

zxinfinity
2012-12-13, 05:01 PM
Look at Legend Views. T^he select all instances will NOT select elements that are in a Legend view.

Just wanted to stop by and thank you Scott for providing the answer as to why I couldn't select all instances of my keynotes.

DaveP
2012-12-13, 05:23 PM
I wish you could thank him.
Sadly, Scott passed away a while ago
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?133477-Scott-Womack-passes-away&highlight=womack

And we are all the poorer for it. He is sorely missed.

patricks
2012-12-14, 09:29 PM
I discovered this issue some time ago. It really gets to be an issue when you try to do Select All Instances on text types or various annotation families, in order to consolidate and coordinate stuff, only to find that elements in Legend views are completely impervious to the Select All Instances command.

It would also be nice if the warning dialog about instances about to be deleted would actually TELL you where those instances are!