PDA

View Full Version : Advanced: Importing ACIS solids using .SAT or .DWG

vicme0
2011-01-27, 11:31 PM
This question is for advanced users or developers:
When importing ACIS solids to include in in-place families, if the ACIS solids are organic in nature, Revit behaves extremely slow. My guess is that it has to do with the meshing of these organic shapes to create a smooth surface. I'd like to know if it is possible to change the display quality of these solids to speed up Revit. Or any other tricks to speed up this kind of imported geometry.

I usually have them in different worksets but sometimes you have to work with them enabled and its imposible to draw anthing since the redraw refresh rate is so slow. If its not possible to do it using the GUI, can it be done through the SDK? I don't mind coding a bit if it will help.

dhurtubise
2011-01-28, 04:23 PM
Not sure about the SDK but Revit doesn't allow for parameters like tessellation to be controlled.
Any reason why those shapes are built out of Revit?

vicme0
2011-01-29, 12:36 PM
Sure, there are other software packages that allow for certain things that you can't do in Revit. For example, Grasshopper for Rhinoceros 3D allows for node based parametric design that's not available in Revit.

In another case, working as a team, most people would know how to model generic geometry in their software of choice but very few people would know how to use Revit. Being able to import geometry from other software without having to remodel it is important when working in a team.