PDA

View Full Version : select all instances

yoi65
2011-01-31, 10:09 PM
If i select a window in a multi-storey bldg and then "select all instances" all windows in the building are selected
now i simply want windows on the 1st floor selected, how can i deselect all the other windows except for those on 1st floor.

any help welcomed.

cdatechguy
2011-01-31, 10:21 PM
If you only want the one floor, select them on a floor plan view and select "All Instances in Current View"

The other option is to isolate the windows....and rotate the view so that you can differentiate the different levels and shift-select those that you don't want selected....

or just unselect all...and only ctrl-select those on the first floor using the above method...

RobG
2011-01-31, 11:09 PM
for what you need, Michaels first suggestion is the best way to do it from within the first floor plan. "Select All in View" is a GREAT feature!

DaveP
2011-02-01, 02:42 PM
"Select All in View" is a GREAT feature!

Which was added in Revit 2011.

Joe, you don't say which version you're using, but if it's 2010 or before, you won't have the "Select All in View" vs "Select All in Project"

yoi65
2011-02-04, 03:59 PM
i'm using 2010 so the 'select all in view/project' option doesn't apply
what i actually needed was a way to select elements on multiple levels ,say, windows on 1st and 3rd floors of a five-storey bldg SIMULTANEOUSLY
apparently can't be done in 2010 or not?

thanks for comments

DaveP
2011-02-04, 04:45 PM
There's one more - kind of messy - way to work it.

Pick your Window
Right-click & "Select All Instances"
Use the "Eyeglass" icon and pick Isolate Element
Escape or click on a blank space to Unselect everything.
Select everything (which at this point is just your Windows) using a rectangle
You'll want to make sure you Zoom Fit before you start this to ensure you catch anything off in the distance.
It gets a little bit messier with two floors, but basically the same concept. You just need to do step 3.) on each View

cdatechguy
2011-02-04, 05:15 PM
i'm using 2010 so the 'select all in view/project' option doesn't apply
what i actually needed was a way to select elements on multiple levels ,say, windows on 1st and 3rd floors of a five-storey bldg SIMULTANEOUSLY
apparently can't be done in 2010 or not?

thanks for comments

The 3D suggestion would work in this case....

detroit.architecture
2011-02-08, 05:22 PM
Also messy, but if you're going to be repeatedly selecting the windows on your 1st and 3rd levels, you could make a window schedule sorted and filtered by Level (e.g. Level does not equal 2 and Level is below 4), select all entries by clicking/dragging down and (right-click) SHOW. You will then have the desired windows selected.

For only one selection cycle this would be overcomplicated. Also assumes that all the windows in question are associated with the correct level, which is a fairly dangerous assumption.

Since there seems to be some kinship between these windows, it will probably be helpful to schedule them anyway.

patricks
2011-02-08, 05:32 PM
I would just click on a 3D view, orient the view to a side elevation view of the building (just click on any side of the view cube), and ctrl-window select around all windows on your 1st and 3rd floors. Then click the Filter button to remove everything except windows from your selection set.

cescalante73
2011-02-11, 11:26 PM
Another suggestion: In a 3D view Create a VG filter for the windows whose "level" parameter value is NOT the first floor and then check off its visibility. Then cross select the remaining windows and replace.