PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Extreme Shape Editing Inaccuracies?

echo
2011-02-03, 05:49 PM
Hi all,

We're getting a warning that is... discomfiting, and the warning dialog gives us no clue on how to proceed.

"Thickness of this Roof may be slightly inaccurate due to extreme Shape Editing. Dimensions to this element in sections and details may not accurately indicate the Thickness shown in Type Properties."

If anyone has seen this and has a clue how to adapt to it, please advise. Any help or ideas are appreciated. We have on average only between 5 and 200 warnings in our models at any time. We erradicate warnings like they're germs! This one is immune so far...

Thank you!

-LC
@digihumminbird

Steve_Stafford
2011-02-03, 05:53 PM
It happens when you distort the surface of a roof or floor using the shape editing tools. You can generate the error just by raising one corner a "bunch" (very technical term).

echo
2011-02-03, 05:54 PM
Mmmmhmmm.... Yes, BUT: what do I do about it? Not use the Shape Editing tool? Use it less? Be less BIMmie? Draw lines instead of make shapes?

Steve_Stafford
2011-02-03, 05:56 PM
Not really...other than "not do it"? Can you arrive at the form in some other way? Unfortunately this one is a bit like, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." Doc says, "Don't do that!".

echo
2011-02-03, 06:04 PM
<insert exasperated sigh> (Not at you, Steve, at Revit)....

Not so easy to re-model again. We'd have to un-do the entire roof documentation strategy here. (Note: building is curvy, too...). Here's a screen shot.

Thoughts?

Steve_Stafford
2011-02-03, 06:22 PM
Maybe the proportions/scale aren't obvious but seems like "small" sections? Could consider breaking them into individual chunks. I can "live" with some of these warnings. It matters more that I know they are there, why and how many we are dealing with than trying to have "none". :)

echo
2011-02-03, 06:40 PM
You're ruining my stats! We're aiming for a ZERO WARNING model here, Steve!

Kidding, I know... I said the same to the team: accept that Revit is unhappy and acknowledge we have some warnings we'll need to live with.

I still don't like it... tarnishing my perfect project. :(

Thanks for the help.

tomnewsom
2011-02-04, 01:35 PM
Slab manipulation like this doesn't maintain thickness paralell to the slop - the slab is 'shered' not 'rotated' - extreme slab manipulation can make this effect very pronounced - ie a 10x10 slab with one corner raised by 50.

dhurtubise
2011-02-04, 04:19 PM
Did you try to model a mass and apply a roof to it. If it's not important to get flexible thickness it should work fine.

cdatechguy
2011-02-04, 06:33 PM
Instead of using a floor or roof....you might want to check out this AU 2010 class
http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=7366

Mainly the adaptive component part....

jagostinho
2014-10-16, 11:38 AM
Hello,

Just came accross this post and want to share that I manage to solve it by editing the Floors Assembly (Type Properties>Edit Structure>Check "Variable" box in one of the layers).

Best,
J96774