PDA

View Full Version : Place objects via real world coordinate

scowsert
2011-02-08, 06:46 PM
I'm surprised I've never ran into this before. I have a survey showing me the location of different objects on the site. I'd like to put an object in my model and tell it, its coordinate. N10368194.821 E2612490.944.

Can I do that? How?

Scott Womack
2011-02-09, 12:23 PM
Revit does not "Think" in those types of terms.

scowsert
2011-02-10, 01:03 AM
So how do I place a tree at a coordinate provided from the surveyor then?

scowsert
2011-02-10, 02:40 AM
Right now I'm thinking of doing it in (gasp) autocad, linking it in then placing my stuff on top of the autocad stuff. Whats that strange pain in my side?

dhurtubise
2011-02-10, 06:07 PM
I have a project were we read that information but as far as placing them, no. Too time consuming if you ask me.
What elements are you trying to place with those coords exactly?

Steve_Stafford
2011-02-11, 07:28 AM
You can use a Spot Coordinate to identify the location of a spot that an object occupies. You can then move it by altering by the necessary amount to get it into that new location.

If you know what the layout is supposed to be based on this coordinate you can turn on the work plane and adjust the spacing, move the grid so an intersection is on that spot and then layout the stuff you need placed accurately.

Not the most efficient process...but possible.

MikeJarosz
2011-02-11, 10:36 PM
When is the Factory ever going to give us some way of directly locating objects in space?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Steve_Stafford
2011-02-12, 07:09 PM
Mind is fuzzy at the moment but I think there is a tool in the Extensions for Revit to place objects at coordinates.

dhurtubise
2011-02-12, 07:34 PM
Mind is fuzzy at the moment but I think there is a tool in the Extensions for Revit to place objects at coordinates.

It's the element positioning tool but it's not for Real World positioning.

scowsert
2011-02-15, 05:42 PM
I have a project were we read that information but as far as placing them, no. Too time consuming if you ask me.
What elements are you trying to place with those coords exactly?

Well I'm building an existing site. I have the locations of fences corners of existing buildings etc... Then I need to put in new buildings. I really couldn't find a way to do this within Revit. Trust me i'm a fan of revit but this just seems odd.

So I'm firing up autocad putting points in, sketching in buildings (polylines) then bring that into Revit and linking in my Revit buildings and aligning it to my polylines pubilishing the buildings location . Really I'm doing it twice. I figured I can't be the first to do this and perhaps firing back into autocad is the norm. I don't see any other way to do it. Its not that big of deal but seems crazy to have to have autocad around to do this type of work. Which building project doesn't have an existing site? Does every site plan come from a surveyor in dwg?

cdatechguy
2011-02-15, 05:52 PM
We get our site plan from the civil guys in dwg and I bring it into a Site Plan in Revit. I then model just what I need (sidewalks, roads, etc)... I link in all my buildings into the Site Plan the push the coordinates out for all the buildings so that when I link in the site plan to each building its placed automatically.

If a building moves I just change it on the site plan model....

mash.251527
2011-11-29, 05:05 PM
I have a similar situation and HAVE to use AutoCAD, but, yes, a but, this is flawed too, because the further the ACAD objects are usually some distance away from 0,0 and it becomes jarred, jagged and unusable in Revit.
Never ‘Pick Lines’ through to Revit from an ACAD Dwg – NEVER EVER !

You have to place two text coordinates on the Acad dwg and then move all the objects to 0,0 making sure they are all in the positive in model space. This means when you link in the Dwg to Revit you have to move it to two matching coordinates placed in Revit. In Revit I put in the two matching coordinates and DL between them and move, rotate the Dwg into position. Sometimes if you should happen to reload the Dwg, it will move off somewhere in the Revit Model and is difficult to find, so best to Link it in and keep you Revit coordinates for when this happens.
Rant:- I cannot believe a 2013 Building Information Modelling software cannot place coordinates or move objects by editing the coordinate text. This along with many other annoying faults will probably never ever get fixed.
Rant Over.
Let’s get our placards and march on Vegas !

David Conant
2011-11-29, 08:54 PM
Actually, you can access the shared coordinate values of locations and use them to locate objects. The survey point is your mechanism. It can be moved from one coordinate to another by specific coordinate input. It also provides a reference for locating elements. (shared coordinates should always be used to record values > 2 miles/3.5km)

The procedure:

In Visibility/Graphics, turn on the Survey Point subcategory of Site. The point will appear as a triangle.
If you have no geometry yet, select the Point and edit the N/S, and E/W values to coordinates that fall roughly in the center of your project. Exactness is not required.
If you do have some geometry, you can move the triangle to coincide with a point whose coordinates you know. Edit the point's coordinate values to match. This establishes the basic relationship of Revit's internal coordinates to the shared coordinate system.
With the point selected, click on the paper clip to unclip the point. It can now be moved without changing the relationship of the project and shared coordinate systems. Enter new coordinate values for the point, and it will move to those coordinates. You can now use its references to place objects, start lines, etc. It is important that this be done with the Point unclipped.
As long as the point is unclipped, you can continue to move it to new coordinate locations for further placements.
Spot coordinates can show the shared coordinate values of references in an element placed at that point.

guizzett726365
2017-06-29, 02:34 PM
Actually, you can access the shared coordinate values of locations and use them to locate objects. The survey point is your mechanism. It can be moved from one coordinate to another by specific coordinate input. It also provides a reference for locating elements. (shared coordinates should always be used to record values > 2 miles/3.5km)

The procedure:

In Visibility/Graphics, turn on the Survey Point subcategory of Site. The point will appear as a triangle.
If you have no geometry yet, select the Point and edit the N/S, and E/W values to coordinates that fall roughly in the center of your project. Exactness is not required.
If you do have some geometry, you can move the triangle to coincide with a point whose coordinates you know. Edit the point's coordinate values to match. This establishes the basic relationship of Revit's internal coordinates to the shared coordinate system.
With the point selected, click on the paper clip to unclip the point. It can now be moved without changing the relationship of the project and shared coordinate systems. Enter new coordinate values for the point, and it will move to those coordinates. You can now use its references to place objects, start lines, etc. It is important that this be done with the Point unclipped.
As long as the point is unclipped, you can continue to move it to new coordinate locations for further placements.
Spot coordinates can show the shared coordinate values of references in an element placed at that point.

Curious if this was ever updated? I have been just building mini Revit projects for large site items, giving those coordinates by points and linking the files in. But a faster system would be better??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?