PDA

View Full Version : How to locate elevation tags independently across different plan views

jameswest77
2011-02-14, 06:04 PM
I have annotation elevation tags that I want to exist in different space on different plans, since the footprint flexes between plans and I want the elevation tags to maintain a consistent distance from the footprint. However, the tags seem to be linked in space and I can't find a way to make them view independent. Same for section tags, too.

Can anyone tell me how to get around this?

Thanks,
James

jameswest77
2011-02-14, 08:34 PM
anybody? any ideas?

dhurtubise
2011-02-14, 09:47 PM
Can't do that. The elevation tag you see in level 1 is the same as in level 4.
I guess you could use several elevations but it's not really worth it.

jameswest77
2011-02-14, 10:47 PM
Can't do that. The elevation tag you see in level 1 is the same as in level 4.
I guess you could use several elevations but it's not really worth it.

oh my god, are you serious? if I locate the tags in my first floor plan where I want them, in the basement they're inside the building envelope and if I locate them where I want in the basement plan, then they're way far away from the plan on the first floor.

I can't believe there's not a work around for this. No one else has any suggestions? I'm not creating duplicate elevation tags/views.

dhurtubise
2011-02-15, 12:12 AM
You could create dumb annotations and fill in the information manually but ...

jameswest77
2011-02-15, 01:07 AM
You could create dumb annotations and fill in the information manually but ...

wow, what a pain in the ***. i can't imagine this isn't an infrequent problem, I wonder what most other people do?

dhurtubise
2011-02-15, 02:22 AM
Leave it in one place and move on to more important stuff like... building design ;)

jameswest77
2011-02-15, 02:36 AM
Leave it in one place and move on to more important stuff like... building design ;)

yeah... building design is done- which is why I'm at this stage trying to get my output to look professional. having elevation tags floating out in space is not.

glynnis.patterson
2011-02-15, 04:35 AM
You can hide the tag in some of the views then place a new tag in the desired location, just be sure to check the small box in the Options bar that says "Reference other view".

Regards,
Glynnis Patterson
www.ideatebimlink.com

dhurtubise
2011-02-15, 02:51 PM
That means create another elevation symbol with no Referene Label and manage view by view.
No BIM like but it will work.

gtarch
2011-02-15, 04:19 PM
yeah... building design is done- which is why I'm at this stage trying to get my output to look professional. having elevation tags floating out in space is not.

I totally agree. This is something that really is a pain, and makes no sense at all.

Wonder what happens if you have a project with many stories. What fun.

jcoe
2011-02-15, 06:01 PM
oh my god, are you serious? if I locate the tags in my first floor plan where I want them, in the basement they're inside the building envelope and if I locate them where I want in the basement plan, then they're way far away from the plan on the first floor.

I can't believe there's not a work around for this. No one else has any suggestions? I'm not creating duplicate elevation tags/views.

It sounds to me like the views might be at different scales. This would definitely cause the annotation to jump around the screen because Revit is scaling the annotation in relation to the view scale.

jameswest77
2011-02-15, 06:19 PM
It sounds to me like the views might be at different scales. This would definitely cause the annotation to jump around the screen because Revit is scaling the annotation in relation to the view scale.

no, they are not at different scales. The elevation tags seem to be forced to exist with the same coordinates on all levels.

tcrawford1978
2012-10-17, 09:28 PM
This is an older post I see Did you figure this out? In 2013 its really simple to make these changes your looking for. Pretty sure they are in 2012 and 2011 as well but cant be positive. If you have your answer great, if not let me know and I will tell you how its done

fvarela
2013-02-01, 07:18 PM
This is an older post I see Did you figure this out? In 2013 its really simple to make these changes your looking for. Pretty sure they are in 2012 and 2011 as well but cant be positive. If you have your answer great, if not let me know and I will tell you how its done

Other than the work around suggested in #9 above ot using a detail component "dumb" bubble, is there a way of locating the elevation symbols independently on each level view?

patricks
2013-02-01, 07:50 PM
Other than the work around suggested in #9 above ot using a detail component "dumb" bubble, is there a way of locating the elevation symbols independently on each level view?

None that I know of, not even in 2013. Reference Other View is the best way, because at least then the sheet and detail numbers will auto update, and the arrow contains the link to the actual section. But it would be a bit of a pain having to go around hiding the live section mark in every view where you need to move it.

The elevation mark can already be moved independently of the actual cut line of the elevation view. Sure wish they could make it able to move independently in each view.

cliff collins
2013-02-01, 08:27 PM
Maybe you could use two Elevation types, and Filter the Views to show the correct elevation type , and apply View Templates to control the Filters? (or maybe I'm missing something--sounds too easy.)?

phill353855
2013-02-07, 01:20 PM

I'm all ears........:-)

patricks
2013-02-07, 04:18 PM
Maybe you could use two Elevation types, and Filter the Views to show the correct elevation type , and apply View Templates to control the Filters? (or maybe I'm missing something--sounds too easy.)?

I'm pretty sure if Reference Other View is used, then both elevation marks will be of the same Type. It's just like sections - if Reference Other View is used, the section mark will be the same type for the original and any other marks referencing that view. That's why you can't have two different section marks, one saying SIM, and another saying OPP HAND, that both reference the same section view.

davidcobi
2015-01-07, 12:56 AM
Reference other view was a nice way to duplicate elevation marks. But as patricks suggested, Filters would not work to show/hide the duplicate marks... but you can add a Design Options Set and use the "Visible in Option" parameter in the duplicate section/callout/elevation marks to control visibility across View Templates.