PDA

View Full Version : Keynoting Membrane Layer (0" thickness)

boydljohnson
2011-02-15, 11:21 AM
I have searched the threads and wanted to confirm the following:

I have a standard wall assembly with the Vapor and Moisture Barrier, each with ZERO thickness. I am unable to find a way to Keynote these layers with Keynote Material in a wall section or detail. Keynote User does not seem very parametric or adaptable to future modifications.

From the threads it appears the only way to achieve this is by creating a Detail Line item Family and drawing the Zero Thickness Membrane Detail Family Line for each view where I want to keynote the membrane layer, and assign the correct Keynote.

******Is this the only way to Keynote a Membrane Layer?*****

This method is not very parametric and causes lineweight issues when drawn adjacent to the perimeter of a wall type (exterior limits are heavier lines).
thanks for any comments

sbrown
2011-02-15, 01:40 PM
Why not use a thinkness? Membranes do have a thickness. Just make it like 1/64" or something minimal.

dhurtubise
2011-02-15, 02:44 PM
The membrane layer requires to be a thickness of 0. But you dont have to use a membrane, if you make the "membrane" another function you will be ok.
Note that the minimum size is 1/16"

sbrown
2011-02-15, 07:55 PM
I've recently been able to specify smaller than 1/16", it gives an error but does it anyway.

boydljohnson
2011-02-15, 11:22 PM
If I designate the membrane element as a different type of "layer" (Finish 1) within the overall wall assembly it then generates a line weight (both sides of the element - since it now has a thickness). I think only membrane layers can be 0" thick.

I have read the argument that membrane layers can (should?) be drawn as detail lines since they typically are elements wrapping and bending around other elements and can also be keynoted. However, what about scheduling and take-off??

I am looking for some sound recommendations to deal with this issue before I proceed throughout the remainder of my project.

Thanks,

dhurtubise
2011-02-15, 11:49 PM
If you really care to schedule those you can create a family. For keynote you will have to do it anyways but you could only place it once then use a linetype to complete the detail.

sbrown
2011-02-16, 07:15 PM
You will have to add your membrane layer to your details as a detail component with keynote to show it wraping around elements. there is no way to make the wall do it for your. I would suggest a System Note for your wall assemblies then you don't need to tag every layer of the wall, then in your details they have to be somewhate "exploded" to show the dashed line for the waterproofing. I use a linebased family for this.