PDA

View Full Version : locking a grid

Bryan Thatcher
2011-02-15, 01:35 PM
I have one grid line that won't lock to the grids parallel to it? I slide it in place and I don't get the option to lock it. How can I lock it? Thanks.

david_peterson
2011-02-15, 02:12 PM
Dumb question, are you sure they're parallel?
Next dumb question, are you sure you're looking at both grid lines as 3d lines or did you make one of them a 2d line already. I don't think you can lock a 2d end point to a 3d end point. Just a dumb thought, but I'm sure you've already checked both of these.

Bryan Thatcher
2011-02-15, 03:11 PM
They are both parallel, I know this because I can dimension between them. And they are both 3D. Those were good questions, but I have a dumb one. What is the difference between a 3D and a 2D grid anyway? I'm still trying to lock the endpoints, thanks.

chandel
2011-02-15, 04:05 PM
The 3D extents of a gridline is the actual location of their endpoints relative to the model. For example, if you are doing a renovation and you only want to see some grids in a specific area of your model, you would do this by adjusting the 3D extents of the grid. So, if you cut a section in a different area of the model you won't see the grids that don't apply to that area. When you switch to 2D extents you are modifying the endpoints of the grids in that view only. Hope this helps. As for why your not able to lock your grids to each other... is your view cropped? If so, try turning off the crops and see if you can do it then.

jcoe
2011-02-15, 06:21 PM
Is there a scope box in the project? The grid lines not assigned to a scope box will not snap to the ones that are - but this also speaks to the 2D/ 3D discussion. When you assign a grid line to a scope box, it takes on the extents of the scope box in that view.