PDA

View Full Version : Building detailed wall types

marknaher
2011-02-17, 07:17 PM
Hello,
The wall types that we create are a little out of the norm, and I would like some advice on how to construct them in Revit. If you refer to the attached image, you will see that our typical wall is comprised of concrete, several layers of blocks, multiple layers of thin sheets of steel, a layer of a third material, and then studs/GWB. We need to be able to see the individual blocks in plan, elev, section, 3D, etc. as shown in the axon.
My question is, can I create a wall type that will graphically display these wall components, or do I have to build my walls entirely of individual components, almost like leggos? Ideally, I would also be able to create a schedule for the quantity and dimension of each of the block types within my walls. Is that possible as a wall type or can I only do that as components?
Thanks, Mark

rosskirby
2011-02-17, 09:23 PM
You can certainly build that type of wall in Revit, and it's no different than building any other type of wall. However, you will not be able to have it automatically show the individual blocks in plan/section, nor the studs in plan. Those would have to be added as repeating detail components. That's they typical Revit workflow.

To get your wall, just go to Edit Type for any existing wall type, then click the Duplicate button. Name the wall whatever you want, then click the Edit button out to the right of where it says Structure. Click Insert to add as many components as you need. In your case, that would be about 11 components (1 concrete, 4 blocks, 4 steel, 1 stud, 1 gyp). Then set the order, material and thickness for each so that the component displays with the correct finish/hatch pattern. You may have to create some new materials, but that's essentially the same process, and you should be able to figure it out. All this is a little better written in the Help, but that's the basic process.

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-02-17, 10:45 PM
We need to be able to see the individual blocks in plan, elev, section, 3D, etc. as shown in the axon.

Welcome to the forums Mark.
Just wondering why the requirement in all those views?
what are you trying to get out of your model?
If quantity take-off is the goal I'm sure a simple formula in your wall schedule would be able to calculate an accurate enough block count for estimating purposes. If it is strictly a graphics thing I'm sure there are a number of workarounds that could accomplish it for most views.

As pointed out by okeydj creating the assembly with all the various layers should be no problem.

As a side note; interesting wall construction. What system is this? In what locale and building type is it being used? Looks like something required by Homeland Security or Department of Defense (or you're into some serious bunker building for really whacked out frat parties! )

richardarchitect
2011-02-17, 11:00 PM
As a side note; interesting wall construction. What system is this? In what locale and building type is it being used? Looks like something required by Homeland Security or Department of Defense (or you're into some serious bunker building for really whacked out frat parties! )

LOL, or a prison Suite for Madoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdatechguy
2011-02-17, 11:16 PM
This reminds me of the "Should I model each brick" thread....

marknaher
2011-02-18, 09:50 PM
We create the thick lead-lined vaults for MRI units in hospitals. We need to be able to have an exact count of each block type used. Because they go together like Leggos and are staggered, each layer of block needs to have its own plan. We will have a plan cut for each level of block, showing the exact outline/placement of block.

I think I am going to create these blocks as Families which will give me the ability to customize parameters and do quantity takeoffs. I just need to learn how to create the family with the correct parameters.
Thanks.

marknaher
2011-02-18, 09:53 PM
This reminds me of the "Should I model each brick" thread....

Well, I guess this does mean that I need to model each brick...in detail. I know enough about modeling to know that's ridiculous, but...we have the need.

cdatechguy
2011-02-18, 09:58 PM
Suggestion would be to model them in separate model...all those interlocking pieces will slow the model down big time...At least this way you will have an exact count of how many blocks you need...

I remember detailing walls that were 3' wide of concrete for a radiology unit in Arizona...had a 1' concrete lid as well...

rosskirby
2011-02-19, 03:09 AM
This might be a long shot, but you could try and create the wall system as a series of stacked walls. Make a new material for each "configuration" of blocks, and set that as the block material for however many different configurations there are. The fill pattern for that material would be pretty complicated, so unless you have a .pat file for it already defined, you're probably going to be better off using a standard component with no cut pattern, and then fill in the blocks in your plans/sections/details with detail components.

On a side note, thanks AUGI for changing my username back to rosskirby from okeydj. :)