PDA

View Full Version : Joining Walls between linked files

tecnicheparametriche
2011-02-23, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

we have a tower and several buildings where we have the facade design coming somehow indipendently from layout of the interiors.

So it would make sense, for us to separate the exterior curtain wall system from the interior walls, and it would work and look fine.

But... the thing is that we want the curtain wall of the cladding system to be modified together with the exterior wall..because it is attached to it in the real building

so we want to move a hole (empty panel) in the curtain wall and move the related window in the exterior wall.

Yes, really simple,
and the doubt (dumb) is:

can we have hte interior walls still look "joined" with the exterior wall if they belong to separate files?
If we split the model in separate files... then we would have a line dividing the exterior wall from the
interior walls in every plan, and that would look bad.

I know, it's stupid, and hopefully you will have a trick for that!

The reason why we are doing this is that the buildin is huge, just facades and exterior wall of a third of it is appprox 60 megs, without any interior wall (6 storyes), So we want to split it before having to face a huge amount of data and we are looking for the best strategy.

thanks,
Stefano

d.stairmand
2011-02-24, 02:08 AM
Stefano
Wall Joining to Linked files will not Join

nancy.mcclure
2011-04-11, 11:39 PM
No magic button for this that I know of.

We end up using Linework (where we can) and detail components (mask with some linework) where connections are more complex, or the Linework alone doesn't work. I'm a proponent of a preset detail component rather than individual masking regions, so that they can be a uniform size and update together.