PDA

View Full Version : Extrusions in 2011

turnbullp
2011-03-08, 03:52 PM
http://docs.autodesk.com/subscription/REVIT/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WS73099cc142f48755-789c4b1e11d24be26d7-76b9.htm

Hi,

I'm trying to create an extrusion in accordance with the Autodesk guide above, but I'm unable to locate the Forms panel! Could someone please point me in it's direction?!

Paul

Revitaoist
2011-03-08, 04:02 PM
Do it in the family editor!!

turnbullp
2011-03-08, 04:07 PM
Do it in the family editor!!

How do I do that?

Both Autodesk and a book I have tell me to go to a Forms panel on the Home tab. There's even a picture!

cganiere
2011-03-08, 06:26 PM
Here is an image of where to find the command.

turnbullp
2011-03-08, 08:27 PM
Here is an image of where to find the command.

Can't see that anywhere!

DaveP
2011-03-08, 08:28 PM
You need to create a New Family. Can be a Mass, or a Door, or a Generic Model, but you're probably not seeing the Toolbar because you're still in the Model.
From the Big Purple R, pick New...Family, then select a Family Template. I'd suggest Generic Model if you're just getting started.

(You could create a new In-Place family from the Model under the Component...Model In Place, but In-Place families are usually a bad idea.)

turnbullp
2011-03-08, 09:09 PM
You need to create a New Family. Can be a Mass, or a Door, or a Generic Model, but you're probably not seeing the Toolbar because you're still in the Model.
From the Big Purple R, pick New...Family, then select a Family Template. I'd suggest Generic Model if you're just getting started.

(You could create a new In-Place family from the Model under the Component...Model In Place, but In-Place families are usually a bad idea.)

Thanks! Can I ask how you do an in-place family, and why they're considered a bad idea?

DaveP
2011-03-08, 09:22 PM
Thanks! Can I ask how you do an in-place family, and why they're considered a bad idea?

Just like I said:

from the Model under the Component...Model In Place
There's nothing wrong with making an In-Place family if you have something like a Reception desk, or a custom counter-top - anything that's a one-off.
The problem arises when you copy your shiny new In-Place family. There are two unique families in the project. Then you copy it again. And again. And again. Then you say to yourself - "well, it's easier to just make an in-place family instead of going through all that trouble to pick File... New and Save it somewhere."
Pretty soon you've got dozens of In-place families bloating up your project when they should really be one.
I'm not exaggerating. We've had that happen on projects here. One hospital project had over 80 Crash-cart families. All Identical. But, because they were In-Place, there were 80 unique families.
CrashCart1, CrashCart17, CrashCart46, CrashCart78.....
Not only does it bloat and slow down your project, but its tough to find which one is which.

turnbullp
2011-03-09, 06:36 PM
Just like I said:

from the Model under the Component...Model In Place
There's nothing wrong with making an In-Place family if you have something like a Reception desk, or a custom counter-top - anything that's a one-off.
The problem arises when you copy your shiny new In-Place family. There are two unique families in the project. Then you copy it again. And again. And again. Then you say to yourself - "well, it's easier to just make an in-place family instead of going through all that trouble to pick File... New and Save it somewhere."
Pretty soon you've got dozens of In-place families bloating up your project when they should really be one.
I'm not exaggerating. We've had that happen on projects here. One hospital project had over 80 Crash-cart families. All Identical. But, because they were In-Place, there were 80 unique families.
CrashCart1, CrashCart17, CrashCart46, CrashCart78.....
Not only does it bloat and slow down your project, but its tough to find which one is which.

So in place families are fine for say a unique wall extrusion or feature, but create a new one for repeated details and features.

Thanks for your patience!