PDA

View Full Version : Wish: Override Graphics for Demolished Items

Dean Camlin
2011-03-12, 01:49 PM
I realize this is not the forum for wishes, but the link for the Wish Submission Form appears to be broken, so I thought I'd post this here, and let the forum managers move it if they want.

I do a lot of addition/alteration projects. It would be nice if Revit would automatically override the graphics for demolished items, such that they become transparent and do not display surface patterns. After I have demolished something, I don't need to see these, but often want to see the new geometry which replaces them.

For example, if I insert a new window in an existing wall, I can't see the window in elevation because the surface pattern of the automatic infilling wall patch overwrites it. To see the window I've got to override the surface pattern.

STHRevit
2011-03-18, 04:16 PM
Not sure I follow this. If you place a new window in an existing wall, it should cut the wall, including finishes to show the new window.

Have you tried tuning the Phase filter in your view to Show previous and New?

It sounds to me like you have demolished an existing opening and the placed a new opening in the same space.
If this is the case, you will have to manually place a wall opening to show the new window. Not sure why it does this but I have had issues with it as well.

I am not in front of Revit right now but I will test and see what I can come up with.

Dean Camlin
2011-03-25, 10:10 PM
In order to show the extent of demolition it is necessary to keep the phasing filter as "show all." However, demolished items should automatically become transparent and have their surface and cut patterns not be displayed. In other words, after I demolish something, I only want to see its outlines. That way, I will be able to see whatever takes its place--whether it's automatic infill where windows or doors have been demolished, or other new content which would otherwise be obscured by the opacity of the demolished item.