PDA

View Full Version : Door Swing Elevation Lines - Not Dashed...

eroq
2011-03-14, 07:13 PM
Forgive me for being new but I have not found a solution to this after searching...

I have my first, small Revit project here and have noticed one small issue with the display of existing door swing elevation lines (a facade facing the street with no new work). They appear as solid not dashed lines.

I have no idea how to change this.

Can anyone help me, please?

cdatechguy
2011-03-14, 07:34 PM
Check your Door Elevation line setting under Object Styles and Model Objects...your line pattern for Doors-->Elevation swing may be too large of a pattern for your scale...

eroq
2011-03-14, 09:57 PM
Check your Door Elevation line setting under Object Styles and Model Objects...your line pattern for Doors-->Elevation swing may be too large of a pattern for your scale...
So, I went to Visibility/Graphics > Object Styles > Doors > Elevation Swing > Line Pattern > Dash 1/8" (by default) and tried different settings, which have no effect. The viewport is set to 1/4" scale. This should work. When I select the line, it almost appears to be 2 lines, one dashed and one solid. Are they overlapping, maybe?

cdatechguy
2011-03-14, 11:36 PM
Try editing the door (open it) and see if they have multiple lines for the door swings....

Jun Austria
2011-03-14, 11:52 PM
Forgive me for being new but I have not found a solution to this after searching...

I have my first, small Revit project here and have noticed one small issue with the display of existing door swing elevation lines (a facade facing the street with no new work). They appear as solid not dashed lines.

I have no idea how to change this.

Can anyone help me, please?

Sometimes I just use "linework".

eroq
2011-03-14, 11:59 PM
Try editing the door (open it) and see if they have multiple lines for the door swings....

No such luck, it would appear.

I selected the door > edit family > there are NO door swing lines visible in this elevation...

eroq
2011-03-15, 12:02 AM
Sometimes I just use "linework".

I would do that but I can't turn off the line as it is now.

Maybe I'll just edit in Illustrator when I have a pdf to work with ;)

I did just click on the door and change the phase from existing to new construction and it looks fine now.
But, I don't need that door to be all popping out boldly when the entire facade it belongs to is more greyed out (existing, no work area).

aggockel50321
2011-03-15, 11:53 AM
Take a look at existing phase linework settings, the default is solid gray lines. You can change it there to dashed or hidden, but all the lines will be dashed or hidden.

The easiest way, if there's just a few doors involved, is to use the linework tool and change them to a dashed line of the same (gray) color. HTH

DaveP
2011-03-15, 12:44 PM
Your post about changing from Existing to New was the vital clue!

There is a hierarchy of which overrides take precedence, and Phase is one of the highest priorities.

Here's the order of precedence for those changes:

Line Work Tool
Override graphics in view by elements
Filters
View Depth -Beyond system line type (plan views only)
Phasing graphic overrides
Advanced model graphics – silhouette edges.
Visibility / Graphic overrides – Halftone
Visibility / Graphic overrides – Override host layers (Cut line styles)
Visibility / Graphic overrides - (projection & cut lines)
Project object styles
I got that from a post on AUGI somewhere, but I can't find the original post.

eroq
2011-03-16, 01:08 AM
Take a look at existing phase linework settings, the default is solid gray lines. You can change it there to dashed or hidden, but all the lines will be dashed or hidden.

The easiest way, if there's just a few doors involved, is to use the linework tool and change them to a dashed line of the same (gray) color. HTH

I wished that would work but I cannot select the line and edit it with the linework tool.
Thanks for the suggestion, thought.
(I am learning a lot here, folks)

eroq
2011-03-16, 01:18 AM
Your post about changing from Existing to New was the vital clue!

There is a hierarchy of which overrides take precedence, and Phase is one of the highest priorities.
Here's the order of precedence for those changes:

Line Work Tool
Override graphics in view by elements
Filters
View Depth -Beyond system line type (plan views only)
Phasing graphic overrides
Advanced model graphics – silhouette edges.
Visibility / Graphic overrides – Halftone
Visibility / Graphic overrides – Override host layers (Cut line styles)
Visibility / Graphic overrides - (projection & cut lines)
Project object styles

I got that from a post on AUGI somewhere, but I can't find the original post.

Thanks for this.
Phasing graphic overrides didn't solve it either.

aggockel50321
2011-03-16, 03:55 PM
Linework tool works here. I can select each elevation swing line. I created a new gray dashed line style to match the existing door line color.

Are you using 2011?

eroq
2011-03-16, 11:17 PM
Linework tool works here. I can select each elevation swing line. I created a new gray dashed line style to match the existing door line color.

Are you using 2011?

Ok, I fiddled around with the linework tool. I guess I wasn't using it correctly before because, YES, that did have an effect.

So, now, I do have a dashed line.

This may sound nitpicky but is it possible to load more linetypes into the linework menu or something?

While I did want a dashed line (achieved by selecting one of the few options: "hidden"), now it is a black line on top of a grayed out - existing phase - facade. It POPS off the page much unlike it should (considering it's relative insignificance (in terms of lineweight hierarchies, that is).

I guess I am finding drafting tools in Revit to be a bit underpowered so far...

Edit: Oh, yes, I'm using Revit Architecture 2011

Also, I forgot to say thank you!

So, thank you andrewg and everybody.

Jun Austria
2011-03-17, 12:56 AM
Ok, I fiddled around with the linework tool. I guess I wasn't using it correctly before because, YES, that did have an effect.

So, now, I do have a dashed line.

This may sound nitpicky but is it possible to load more linetypes into the linework menu or something?

While I did want a dashed line (achieved by selecting one of the few options: "hidden"), now it is a black line on top of a grayed out - existing phase - facade. It POPS off the page much unlike it should (considering it's relative insignificance (in terms of lineweight hierarchies, that is).

I guess I am finding drafting tools in Revit to be a bit underpowered so far...

Edit: Oh, yes, I'm using Revit Architecture 2011

Also, I forgot to say thank you!

So, thank you andrewg and everybody.

"Underpowered" is a common reaction of a new user. I have used Autocad since 2.16 from 1988 to 2008.
Made a complete transformation to Revit in 2008. Now all drafting works done in Revit.

Now back to your problem. I would try to create a new "Line Style" with a color similar to the Phase color.
Just go to "Manage" then "Additional Settings" and select "Line Patterns".
After you created your Line Patterns go to "Manage/Additional Settings/Line Styles".
From there you can dictate the color and line weight of the Line Pattern.

eroq
2011-03-17, 07:13 AM
"Underpowered" is a common reaction of a new user. I have used Autocad since 2.16 from 1988 to 2008.
Made a complete transformation to Revit in 2008. Now all drafting works done in Revit.

Now back to your problem. I would try to create a new "Line Style" with a color similar to the Phase color.
Just go to "Manage" then "Additional Settings" and select "Line Patterns".
After you created your Line Patterns go to "Manage/Additional Settings/Line Styles".
From there you can dictate the color and line weight of the Line Pattern.

That manage > additional settings looks promising.

I created a line style but it doesn't show up in my line work dropdown nor in the line style menu...

STHRevit
2011-03-18, 04:05 PM
So, I went to Visibility/Graphics > Object Styles > Doors > Elevation Swing > Line Pattern > Dash 1/8" (by default) and tried different settings, which have no effect. The viewport is set to 1/4" scale. This should work. When I select the line, it almost appears to be 2 lines, one dashed and one solid. Are they overlapping, maybe?

I think this might be your problem.
Did you go to the Visibility Graphics / Object Style in the view?
Try going to the Manage tab and selecting the object style there. Go to the door category and change the line type. I am not sure why but we had this issue a while ago and fir some reason, we could change the line styles globally but not in specific views through the VG.

eroq
2011-03-18, 07:33 PM
I think this might be your problem.
Did you go to the Visibility Graphics / Object Style in the view?
Try going to the Manage tab and selecting the object style there. Go to the door category and change the line type. I am not sure why but we had this issue a while ago and fir some reason, we could change the line styles globally but not in specific views through the VG.

Hey, great. That is interesting. The manage tab navigation did yield more control of the lines universally. Now, I have centerlines (which I have always used for door swing elevations) rather than dashed lines. I can control the line color, weight, etc.

The problem would appear to be one of phasing, I guess. Because the elevation in question is existing, it is greyer than the other new construction. Here, this line still remains uncontrollable universally (as mentioned before, I did have some luck getting results using the linework tool).

This would lead me to believe there must be some other tools for tweaking phasing options a bit better...

Thanks for the great tip!

spf749582
2017-06-13, 12:39 PM
I have solved a similar double line problem by setting the view phase filter to Show Complete. When I have my phase filter set to Show Previous + New, then my door elevation swing lines are a dashed line on top of a solid line (effectively a solid line). When I set the phase filter to Show Complete, then the solid line goes away and only the dashed line displays.