PDA

View Full Version : Zooming in 3D

patricks
2005-01-05, 10:16 PM
I'm working through the Site tutorial in 7.0, and I have noticed that if I try to zoom in and out using my mouse scroll wheel while viewing the toposurface in 3D, it sits there and takes and extraordinarily long amount of time before it finally decides to jump to the final view zoom level (which may not be right since I couldn't view the zoom steps in between because it was taking so long).

However if I activate the Dynamically Modify View using F8, I can then scroll to zoom in and out just fine, as well as hold Shift to spin the view, etc etc.

Anybody else noticed this problem?

*edit* I have also started another file which just has some building columns and floors in it but no toposurface or anything, and it will zoom in and out just fine in 3D, I don't have to have the F8 tool open or anything.

patricks
2005-01-05, 10:41 PM
Ah I see now, I had the shadows turned on in the Shading with Edges view, and if you try to zoom it takes an extremely long time, but when you hit F8 it turns the shadows off while you're rotating or zooming. If I turn the shadows off in the 3D view, it zooms in and out fine.

So do shadows really slow it down THAT much? I'm running a Pentium4 2.26 GHz machine w/ 1.5 GB of RAM and XP Pro. Do I need more???