PDA

View Full Version : Light Fixture Voids (RAC 2011)

cek
2011-03-21, 04:10 PM
I have an electrical engineer that is still using AutoCAD and requested we turn off the light fixtures before we exported the ACAD file.

I thought this would be as simple as turning off the light fixtures in the visibility graphics control but I was left with all the voids and can't figure out how to turn them off if it is even possible.

I couldn't find this topic when I did a search on the forum and given the nature of the issue the solution must be very simple, which unfortunately means I'm loosing my Revit edge.

Thanks in Advance for any suggestions.

chris_3302
2011-03-21, 05:42 PM
I don't think it's possible to eliminate those voids...but I may be wrong. :)

But the work around I use is by creating a a filled region over the ceiling (this will eliminate having any confusion with the actual 3D model). Just make sure that the filled region has the exact same hatch (if possible). You can then export the view without the voids showing up. not the best work around...but it works! :)

cek
2011-03-21, 05:53 PM
As another workaround option I had considered copying the ceilings into a design option and stripping the light fixtures. Good if your ceiling development is almost complete, a pain if you have to do this several times.

chris_3302
2011-03-21, 06:19 PM
The only setback other than having to update the ceiling is that it could possibly become confusing to other users (having a design option in the project, having multiple ceilings in a single room, etc.) But either way will work. :)

rosskirby
2011-03-21, 07:22 PM
Seriously?!

If you're exporting to CAD, surely you've got the light fixtures mapped to a specific layer (A-Clng-Fixt or something like that). Just tell your consultant to either freeze/turn off that layer, or to isolate it and delete the objects. Whatever you do, please don't waste the time of going to all the effort of setting up design options or specific masking regions (which would be exported as hatch)! I'm begging you!

cek
2011-03-21, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately the exported ACAD file layer which defines the light fixture voids also defines the ceiling edges so they or I would need to take the time to isolate the lines that define the void edges. Not a desirable alternative either.

You would think Revit would hide the voids if the light fixture visibility is off but I guess in Revit's reality the light fixture is still there, just not visible, hence the voids.

I still think a design option approach would be the quickest. Fast to set up, quick to copy paste, SA the light fixtures / delete and your done. Name the D.O. "EE get MEP"

renogreen
2011-03-21, 08:28 PM
Delete all light fixtures, export files, undo, undo...or just Save, then delete light fixtures, export and close file without saving.

I've had to do this, too and there isn't any clean way that I've been able to figure out.

cek
2011-03-21, 09:39 PM
Ahhh! Thanks Renogreen. I knew it was simple and yes you have confirmed that I'm loosing my Revit Mojo.

SamuelAB
2011-10-17, 04:25 PM
That's a terrible solution Renogreem.

The best practice solution is to change the layer assigned to the edges of the ceiling so that the engineer can turn off your light layer:
1-Click the top left Revit button/Export/Options/Export Layers DWG DXF
2-Once you've found the Lines called Ceiling Grid and Ceiling Pad Edge (under Line category), rename the Layer to "A-CLNG-GRID" instead of "A-DETL".