PDA

View Full Version : Non-Standard Walls - Elevations (Problem #1)

eroq
2011-03-22, 03:37 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry for such a broad question as I am so new to the program and the forum but I have a short time to solve this.

I am working on building up a set of as-builts or drawings of existing conditions for a ca. 1906 California Spanish Colonial Neoclassical Mission Style derivative building.

There are flourishes, decorative in nature where walls are notched, bulging, sinuous, etc.

I have no real sense of the best way to control these in Revit.

In previous programs I have worked, I find it quite simple to to extrusions or lofts but not so much in Revit.

Here are some images (http://eroq.imgur.com/59TW6#2KBzp) in the hopes you guys can get me pointed in the right direction. If these are not working, please let me know...

Lets look at the cloud lift shape above the fence or the notched chimney, for starters.

Thanks in advance to you all...

sbrown
2011-03-22, 12:57 PM
I didn't see anything complex in those images. to control the shape of the wall you select the wall and use the edit elevation profile tool to adjust the shape of the wall. You will use "in-place" walls for walls that need to "buldge" or aren't straight in their face. IE a batterd wall. If you can post a picture of what you are trying to achieve, I maybe able to help more.

eroq
2011-03-22, 10:02 PM
I didn't see anything complex in those images. to control the shape of the wall you select the wall and use the edit elevation profile tool to adjust the shape of the wall. You will use "in-place" walls for walls that need to "buldge" or aren't straight in their face. IE a batterd wall. If you can post a picture of what you are trying to achieve, I maybe able to help more.

Sorry first for those too large images.

So, simple one first: how do I create / modify a wall like this one (ramped above an exterior staircase) in elevation?

http://i.imgur.com/61lId.jpg (http://imgur.com/61lId)

There are more complex issues I can get to after this (maybe should be more specific in another thread) but, for now, I am just not sure of a way to approach this elevation.

Thanks again.

reviot
2011-03-23, 04:05 AM
As Scott mentioned in his previous post for this example the easiest way to modify the top of the wall is to use the Edit Profile command (select the wall you want to change and Edit Profile will appear in the ribbon menu) - it allows you to modify the perimeter shape or create openings in an elevation view using sketch lines.

eroq
2011-03-23, 04:11 AM
As Scott mentioned in his previous post for this example the easiest way to modify the top of the wall is to use the Edit Profile command (select the wall you want to change and Edit Profile will appear in the ribbon menu) - it allows you to modify the perimeter shape or create openings in an elevation view using sketch lines.

That sounds simple.
Will check it out.
Thanks so much.

eroq
2011-03-23, 04:50 AM

Ok. That seems so obvious now.

Thanks so much. Just getting my start on Revit.

tomnewsom
2011-03-23, 12:19 PM
A quick note - I would hesitate to use any in-place families for oddly-shaped walls in plan. Their performance degrades very quickly as they get more complex and they are inconvenient to split/modify/cut/join etc.

I work a lot with existing buildings 50-200 years old and have found over the years that the best toolkit is:

A large selection of Existing wall types - as required, but can end up with over a hundred, in 5mm width increments. Non-parallel walls are two overlapping walls, Joined. Oh, for an Instanced wall width parameter!

Edit Profile for vertical shaping, but almost never for openings

A set of custom opening/recess families (rectangular, arched, flat arched, arc-in-plan). These allow much quicker tracing off surveys, as I can just place an Arched Opening, for example, and fill in the parameters straight from the survey annotation.

Complex roofs I usually submit to making a mass and doing roof-by-face. The roof tool makes too many assumptions, and multiple parts have a habit of unjoining themseleves while you work.

eroq
2011-03-23, 06:19 PM
A quick note - I would hesitate to use any in-place families for oddly-shaped walls in plan. Their performance degrades very quickly as they get more complex and they are inconvenient to split/modify/cut/join etc.

I work a lot with existing buildings 50-200 years old and have found over the years that the best toolkit is:

A large selection of Existing wall types - as required, but can end up with over a hundred, in 5mm width increments. Non-parallel walls are two overlapping walls, Joined. Oh, for an Instanced wall width parameter!

Edit Profile for vertical shaping, but almost never for openings

A set of custom opening/recess families (rectangular, arched, flat arched, arc-in-plan). These allow much quicker tracing off surveys, as I can just place an Arched Opening, for example, and fill in the parameters straight from the survey annotation.

Complex roofs I usually submit to making a mass and doing roof-by-face. The roof tool makes too many assumptions, and multiple parts have a habit of unjoining themseleves while you work.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this.
I really just needed to hear this, a broad survey, from someone familiar with the issues.

Quick question: I have that arched doorway to deal with. In plan, it is a swept radius around the arch as well (very thick - 26" - wall) which, as you can imagine pinches as you step into it. Can this be achieved via custom opening tools?