PDA

View Full Version : 2012 is coming soon

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-22, 05:08 PM
Hi all you Reviteers. Revit 2012 is here and you can download a trial copy from here when it is available:
http://usa.autodesk.com/revit-architecture/trial/

Some of the new features you may want to test include:

1. Support for tagging Rooms and Spaces through links (and Keynotes!!)
2. Additional features for Worksharing such as disabling worksharing, a worksharing graphics tools to indicate status, ownership, etc.
3. Improvements to materials (mapping, tweaks, etc.)
4. Construction parts and assemblies (you can see a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moi-IXyxRlQ)
5. Point Cloud support
6. Navisworks 2012 support/switchback as well as support for exporting linked Revit models to Navisworks..I talk about this on my blog.
7.Revit Server integration.
8.3D Connextion support (as previously noted)
9.Graphic Display Options can be saved to view templates along with a new Ghost view Option feature.
10.Workset visibility, etc. can be saved as part of a view template
11.Workplane viewer (on the Workplane Panel on the Home tab)
12.Integrated Energy Analysis
13.Conceptual Modeling tools now available in the Generic Model Adaptive.RFA family. No more wrapping and unwrapping with the Mass Editor and having to drag the components from the browser!)
14.Project BlueStreak and Server subscription tools for mixed environments (you will need to be on subscription for BlueStreak.

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-22, 05:11 PM
Oops..The free trial will be available soon, but this will be the link when it is available...Sorry about that. I did not read the fine print on the download! My BAD!

jameswest77
2011-03-22, 05:21 PM
awesome. sounds like a bunch more tools that I don't want and no revisions for existing broken tools. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-22, 05:47 PM
awesome. sounds like a bunch more tools that I don't want and no revisions for existing broken tools. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

What tools were you looking for? I for one am glad to see the full support for tagging Rooms and Spaces as well as Keynoting through linked Revit files. For a number of firms, this was a deal killer and required a lot of work-arounds. Was there something specific you were looking for?

Regards,

diesellam
2011-03-22, 05:53 PM
You still CAN'T measure from one point to another point in the 3d view. This is very critical during the design flow instead keep switching back to the 2d views to find that out.

I still can't believe something this simple isn't available. This feature was already available in the other 3d softwares 10 years ago.

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-22, 06:06 PM
You still CAN'T measure from one point to another point in the 3d view. This is very critical during the design flow instead keep switching back to the 2d views to find that out.

I still can't believe something this simple isn't available. This feature was already available in the other 3d softwares 10 years ago.

You can actually do this, if you change the workplane and use regular dimensions. But yes, just being able to do a quicky measure between two points in the x, y and z would be helpful. Have you submitted this as a wishlist item?

Scott D Davis
2011-03-22, 06:06 PM

While the Measure tool specifically is not available in 3D, you can place a dimension in a 3D view. Just need to set a workplane for the dimension first. But agree, Measure tool should be aomething that is enabled in 3D.

diesellam
2011-03-22, 06:10 PM
Yes, it should be like the measure tool in NavisWorks Manage.

It should be just 2 clicks and you get the true length between those 2 points and the elevation. I brought this up during the beta testing several months ago but I guess it's somehow excluded.

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-22, 06:19 PM
Yes, it should be like the measure tool in NavisWorks Manage.

It should be just 2 clicks and you get the true length between those 2 points and the elevation. I brought this up during the beta testing several months ago but I guess it's somehow excluded.

It needs to be submitted as a wishlist feature as the beta testing is really for trouble shooting the planned features, api changes, etc. before releasing the software. Ideally, this would be a futures item. It is funny that you mention Navisworks, because some Navisworks users want the measure tool to behave like Revit where it makes an absolutely straight line rather then point to point.

diesellam
2011-03-22, 06:38 PM
It's gotta be a straight line if it's from point to point (in both Revit and Navisworks). If it's a curve wall, you can't find the actual length of the curvature (in both Revit and Navisworks). But in both Rhino and FormZ, you can do this kind of measurement 10 years ago.

Scott D Davis
2011-03-22, 07:19 PM
It's gotta be a straight line if it's from point to point (in both Revit and Navisworks). If it's a curve wall, you can't find the actual length of the curvature (in both Revit and Navisworks). But in both Rhino and FormZ, you can do this kind of measurement 10 years ago.

Use an arc length dimension. Again, it's a real dimension, not the Measure tool, but is a measurement you can get in 3D.

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-22, 07:42 PM

In Revit, you can find the length of a curved wall or line by using the Arc Length Dimension. Is this the type of measurement you were referring to?

In regards to Rhino, I like that software, but Formz? I think Maya or 3DMax give you better output, but that may be my personal aesthetic.

Regards,

jameswest77
2011-03-22, 08:47 PM
What tools were you looking for? I for one am glad to see the full support for tagging Rooms and Spaces as well as Keynoting through linked Revit files. For a number of firms, this was a deal killer and required a lot of work-arounds. Was there something specific you were looking for?

Regards,

How about being able to use an ellipse or a spline as a path in a stair tool? Or being able to copy objects between a family and a model? Or being able to enter units in the offset command without the mouse pointer having to be in the toolbar? Or being able to scale 3D objects? or build a window that can be curved to fit in a curved wall?

the list goes on and on, but basically I'd REALLY rather see improvements on what we already have, instead of wholly new tools.

diesellam
2011-03-22, 09:22 PM
Please see the attached PDF file. I meant the 3d curve wall; not 2d curve wall.

I just randomly created this in FormZ earlier.

I can quickly get the actual length measurement of the green and orange curve from the 2d source of the sweep.

I can also quickly get the total surface curvature area of the green and orange area in 15 seconds in FormZ.
I can do all of the above in the same 3d view.

In fact, this is so accurate that I don't even use Autodesk quantity takeoff anymore to do the quick takeoff.

I may miss something in Revit. But can you really do what I just mentioned above in less than 2 mins in FormZ.

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-22, 09:25 PM
How about being able to use an ellipse or a spline as a path in a stair tool? Or being able to copy objects between a family and a model? Or being able to enter units in the offset command without the mouse pointer having to be in the toolbar? Or being able to scale 3D objects? or build a window that can be curved to fit in a curved wall?

the list goes on and on, but basically I'd REALLY rather see improvements on what we already have, instead of wholly new tools.

You can do a curved window. You just need to created a custom object. And you can offset without going to the toolbar by using the graphical option in offset rather then the numerical. You can also scale in 3d, depending on the object.

Anyway, not software is perfect and I think the improvements in Worksharing, Tagging and Materials as well as exporting to Navisworks are pretty significant workflow improvements and not new features. These improvements will have quite a bit of impact for a lot of my clients.

Regards,

diesellam
2011-03-22, 09:32 PM
Teresa, your point is well taken.

"No software is perfect."

I guess that's why we have to upgrade the software in a yearly basis.

BrenDillon-IHA
2011-03-22, 10:50 PM
Form-Z does some stuff much better than Revit does.

However, I'm not sure what industry you work in, but as an Architect, I'd NEVER use Form-Z in any of my projects. It was a fun tool for creating non-constructable projects when I was in grad school, but Revit is a tool for designing buildings and Form-Z can't do even half of what I need on a daily basis. I've never come across a dimension I needed in practice that I couldn't get by switching to a plan view or cutting a quick section. Is it really so bad to change views?

diesellam
2011-03-22, 11:09 PM
The original founders of FormZ are all architect. I've created a CD set solely in FormZ before Revit even existed. So don't say FormZ is for non-constructive objects. I've seen bunch of unbelieveable forms fabricated from the FormZ files in the shops.

If you say FormZ can't do half of what Revit does, that shows how much you don't know FormZ at all. I can't even think of a form/geometry that can't be created in FormZ. There are more than a handful of geometry I can think of that can't be created in Revit.

If I have a geodesic dome, how can you find out the true length of each face, the elevation difference between the vertexes without switching the views in Revit. Do you know how time consuming that is to switch the views to find that out every time.

Just because Autodesk does a good job marketing the software doesn't make it the best software out there. It maybe the most used software but it still doesn't equal to the word "best".

If you don't know both of the softwares well enough, well, you are not qualified to do the comparison, period.

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-22, 11:51 PM
So, this thread is about new features in 2012 for those whom are interested. Check it out. If you prefer to use other software, that is fine. I typically use 5 different pieces of software for projects, including photoshop, but this is not a photoshop forum.

There are some webcasts coming up and Steve Stafford's blog have some interesting posts as well.

http://revitoped.blogspot.com/

For those interested in energy analysis, I would recommend checking out the energy analysis tab in 2012 when you get the chance.

Regards,

Jun Austria
2011-03-23, 12:17 AM
Thanks Teresa for the link. For me, the biggest improvement is the worksharing. Everytime my office IM(Pandion) is down and the intercom at the same. I have to go up and down 2 floors just to ask for the workset. (Recently we just used mobile phones).

AP23
2011-03-23, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=diesellam;1121366 Just because Autodesk does a good job marketing the software doesn't make it the best software out there. It maybe the most used software but it still doesn't equal to the word "best".QUOTE]

The majority of architects don't use Revit, but autocad and 3ds max. As a matter of fact the most architects still find the Rhino>Autocad>3ds Max or 3dsMax >Autocad>3dsMax more effective. As you said, you can model everything in FormZ, Rhino of even 3ds max, which is why people still prefer these software for conceptual design.

narlee
2011-03-23, 01:16 PM
While the Measure tool specifically is not available in 3D, you can place a dimension in a 3D view. Just need to set a workplane for the dimension first. But agree, Measure tool should be aomething that is enabled in 3D.

This seems pretty easy to me. Revit can focus on other issues, for my money.

narlee
2011-03-23, 01:21 PM
Revit3D.com reports that 2012 is due out April 11th.

Jayanta Nath
2011-03-23, 07:47 PM
There are still missing "site" tool, no development "ramp" and still not presented as "stair". Why?? There are need lost of Basic requirement for drafting/modelling tool. Wish List of this forum is not accepted by Autodesk, so why you wants votes for wish list? Every year Autodesk release new version with few development... thats funny...

cdatechguy
2011-03-23, 07:54 PM
There are still missing "site" tool, no development "ramp" and still not presented as "stair". Why?? There are need lost of Basic requirement for drafting/modelling tool. Wish List of this forum is not accepted by Autodesk, so why you wants votes for wish list? Every year Autodesk release new version with few development... thats funny...

Not everything from the wish list makes the cut.....but many wishes have been granted...

Jayanta Nath
2011-03-23, 08:02 PM
From 2007 there lost of very need tool describe below, but not fulfill
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pELFs1KjySrhLW_Cty_3BUw

bpoppe
2011-03-23, 09:28 PM
Two things I'd love to see:
1. Backward compatibility. It's tough to keep one project using a certain Revit release to stay in line with one of the consultants.
2. A more efficient use of computer resources. It would be nice to see a smaller memory/cpu footprint so I can keep older hardware relevant longer. As much as I hate to hear the current economy ("In these times....") used as an excuse, it's more and more difficult to justify new hardware. Especially against keeping the doors open.

But maybe that's just me.

narlee
2011-03-24, 01:28 AM
1. Backward compatibility. It's tough to keep one project using a certain Revit release to stay in line with one of the consultants.
2. A more efficient use of computer resources. It would be nice to see a smaller memory/cpu footprint so I can keep older hardware relevant longer. As much as I hate to hear the current economy ("In these times....") used as an excuse, it's more and more difficult to justify new hardware. Especially against keeping the doors open.

It's not just you. I don't know anyone who wouldn't benefit. Although I can't say how difficult it is to be more efficient with the resources, I would agree the program is a huge, huge resource pig (but in a nice way, if you don't mind buying new hardware every other year). But, the non-backward compatibility...call me a conspiracy theorist, but...:). When people ask me if I'm on subscription, I say "no, I'm under CONscription.(only kidding:) But, Revit is so awesome, I'm obviously willing to put up with it. Thank god I don't have to interact with a lot of consultants. I don't know how big companies manage it. Is everyone supposed to join hands every April 11th and say "ok, everybody in!" ?? I'm seriously curious about that, if an AutoDesk person is reading this. It's academic to me, but it seems like it would be very difficult to manage...Scott Davis, you usually have excellent input on things...?

Joef
2011-03-24, 01:32 AM
[QUOTE=diesellam;1121366 Just because Autodesk does a good job marketing the software doesn't make it the best software out there. It maybe the most used software but it still doesn't equal to the word "best".QUOTE]

The majority of architects don't use Revit, but autocad and 3ds max. As a matter of fact the most architects still find the Rhino>Autocad>3ds Max or 3dsMax >Autocad>3dsMax more effective. As you said, you can model everything in FormZ, Rhino of even 3ds max, which is why people still prefer these software for conceptual design.

I don't know where you get your figures but I am certain I read somewhere that the majority of architects use Vectorworks not AutoCAD. The next most popular was ArchiCAD followed by Chief Architect.

( see how easy and fun it is to make stuff up and post it in a forum. You can sound like an expert without actually being one)!

Paul Monsef
2011-03-24, 01:42 AM
[QUOTE=AP23;1121415]( see how easy and fun it is to make stuff up and post it in a forum. You can sound like an expert without actually being one)!
I've seen a couple recently, done by hand! must be the norm.

narlee
2011-03-24, 02:00 AM
It's not just you. I don't know anyone who wouldn't benefit. Although I can't say how difficult it is to be more efficient with the resources, I would agree the program is a huge, huge resource pig (but in a nice way, if you don't mind buying new hardware every other year). But, the non-backward compatibility...call me a conspiracy theorist, but...:). When people ask me if I'm on subscription, I say "no, I'm under CONscription.(only kidding:) But, Revit is so awesome, I'm obviously willing to put up with it. Thank god I don't have to interact with a lot of consultants. I don't know how big companies manage it. Is everyone supposed to join hands every April 11th and say "ok, everybody in!" ?? I'm seriously curious about that, if an AutoDesk person is reading this. It's academic to me, but it seems like it would be very difficult to manage...Scott Davis, you usually have excellent input on things...?

To clarify, by CONscription, I didn't mean "conned," but rather "you've been drafted NOW, baby.

narlee
2011-03-24, 02:16 AM
[QUOTE=AP23;1121415]

I don't know where you get your figures but I am certain I read somewhere that the majority of architects use Vectorworks not AutoCAD. The next most popular was ArchiCAD followed by Chief Architect.

( see how easy and fun it is to make stuff up and post it in a forum. You can sound like an expert without actually being one)!

Right. I would find it hard to believe there are that many architects regularly doing work so esorteric that Rhino is the number one software they use. Maybe Revit would gain more popularity (assuming the above is correct) if it was priced better against the pieces you list above. It's way more than any on the above list. Not saying it's not worth it, but it is dearly priced and AutoDesk has then apparently decided not to go for broad acceptance, because it's not the quality that's keeping it off desks. The other possibility is that ADesk has decided to focus chiefly on the big companies, that can better afford and appreciate this sophisticated product.

narlee
2011-03-24, 02:48 AM
Actually, I don't know that you can still buy Revit alone? The "suite" is $6K v. ACAD alone for $4K and ACAD Architecture $5K. The other software mentioned is less than $3K.

AP23
2011-03-24, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=AP23;1121415]

I should have mentioned in which part of the world my facts came from. I always forget how US centric this forum is, so those facts don't apply for the US.

In New Zealand and Budapest, Archicad is the number one used software. In Germany, Vectorworks is the most used.

AP23
2011-03-24, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=Joef;1121596]

Right. I would find it hard to believe there are that many architects regularly doing work so esorteric that Rhino is the number one software they use.

I just that many people don't like Autodesk and therefore use different software like Rhino. There is a lot going on there.

cdatechguy
2011-03-24, 03:04 PM
I've worked for a couple of places that use ArchiCAD... for residential work I think its great....but for the work I do now for Government buildings I would probably have no hair if I was using it. I worked for another company that used Chief Architect for schematic design....then brought into SketchUp to make them artsy...the photoshop to color them up some more....then use AutoCAD for CD's... (And this company has a Revit license and doesn't use it)

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-25, 06:05 PM
Interesting. Most architects and engineers on the West coast are running Revit (in conjunction with Autocad and Sketchup). I have heard repeatedly from out of work engineers and architects that they cannot even get an interview without having Revit experience.

Still, it would be nice to actually have some hard numbers, broken down nationally and internationally.

Regards,

Matt H
2011-03-25, 08:39 PM
While I'm glad 2012 is here, I still think they (autodesk) really needs to implement some key stuff, more annotation features (as in text structure), more stair refining (being able to attach walls to stairs), and some more basic things that may not be "flashy" but it would be nice.

All in all, great to see some of the added features :D

AP23
2011-03-25, 11:37 PM
While I'm glad 2012 is here, I still think they (autodesk) really needs to implement some key stuff, more annotation features (as in text structure), more stair refining (being able to attach walls to stairs), and some more basic things that may not be "flashy" but it would be nice.

All in all, great to see some of the added features :D

What I've heard, from a recent Revit users webcast, was that the flashy stuff (massing in this case) is needed for the development of site and stair tools, not just for starchitecture. In order to have a sidewalk to follow the complex curves of the topography, you need a loft function. They've also mentioned that the stair tool wasn't approved for this release, which means it has been developed and waiting to be release at some point, i guess.

DoTheBIM
2011-03-28, 11:57 AM
It needs to be submitted as a wishlist feature as the beta testing is really for trouble shooting the planned features, api changes, etc. before releasing the software. Ideally, this would be a futures item. It is funny that you mention Navisworks, because some Navisworks users want the measure tool to behave like Revit where it makes an absolutely straight line rather then point to point.I'm late to the thread but why not have it both ways. See the pic for how one of my softwares does it.

narlee
2011-03-28, 01:53 PM

On this score, Revit 2012 is supposed to have "performance enhancements." So, maybe they dropped a few blue pills into the code to help us do more with the resources we have...

luke.s.johnson
2011-04-07, 12:55 AM
2012 suites available for subscription download -

http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2011/04/revit-2012-suites-available-for.html

DaveP
2011-04-07, 03:17 PM
Apparently, Revit 2012 is rolling out to some areas (like Australia and New Zealand) already. I don't see anything in the US yet. Hopefully, Monday 4/11.

DoTheBIM
2011-04-07, 03:27 PM
Not everyone will get access at the same time according to this.

http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2011/04/revit-2012-download-details.html

cliff collins
2011-04-07, 03:42 PM
Just downloaded RAC 2012 and 3dsMax Design 2012...........

cheers

BrenDillon-IHA
2011-04-07, 06:51 PM
Interesting. Most architects and engineers on the West coast are running Revit (in conjunction with Autocad and Sketchup). I have heard repeatedly from out of work engineers and architects that they cannot even get an interview without having Revit experience.

Still, it would be nice to actually have some hard numbers, broken down nationally and internationally.

Regards,

Ditto, when I was out of work, every posting required Revit experience (which I fortunately had). Two of my interviews even administered short Revit tests to make sure I wasn't just blowing smoke.

DaveP
2011-04-07, 09:19 PM
Just downloaded RAC 2012 and 3dsMax Design 2012...........

cheers
Hey, no fair!
I'm pretty much due north of you, so I should have it, too!
Maybe they're doing it alphabetically.

Really, though, as long as I get it by Monday, I'll be happy.
Heck, as long as I get it before I have to show it to our User Group, I'll be happy.

kimheaver
2011-04-08, 01:16 AM
Downloading it now in Australia, just spend about an hour trying to get the download manager to install, gave up and downloading through the browser.
1hr 45min to go.

Kim

bulletproofdesign
2011-04-08, 08:51 AM
Dunno if this sheds any light of usage.....
http://www.google.com/trends?q=vectorworks%2C+autocad%2C+archicad%2C+revit&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

I am very happy with the suggested improvements...

Save all families from project, transfer dwg standards, wall assemblies, workset>standalone sounds great.

The release in now available in NZ, though I have burned all my bandwidth trying to successfully download, the file has "Failed to save" several times....

dderoeck
2011-04-08, 10:50 AM
Super News.... the Freedom 2012 has the Measuring tool on board!

DaveP
2011-04-08, 01:02 PM
I got all excited this morning when I opened my email.
There was Couchdown Jesus alerting me that my download is now available!

Alas, it's just 3DS Max, not Revit.:cry:

drewj
2011-04-08, 05:08 PM
Sorry for the off track question, but:

When accessing the subscription center from Revit, the software loads up Internet Explorer, however I am running a 64bit OS and so it is giving me the 64bit Internet Explorer, which doesnt play nice with Flash, so I dont get my full experience!

How do I set the default browser to 32bit?

If this is too off topic, please just dont reply, thanks!

cdatechguy
2011-04-08, 05:42 PM
Try a different browser.... I never use IE anymore...

Dean Camlin
2011-04-09, 01:05 PM
It's not available to me yet. They must be trying to prevent site overload. I guess I'll just wait. . . .

DaveP
2011-04-11, 01:38 PM
OK, its Monday. It's the 11th.
Oddly enough, all of the Extensions are available to me this morning.
However, no Revit Architecture 2012.

Dean Camlin
2011-04-11, 02:16 PM
OK, its Monday. It's the 11th.
Oddly enough, all of the Extensions are available to me this morning.
However, no Revit Architecture 2012.

Same for me, Dave. I suppose I'll be checking through the day.

Doug
2011-04-12, 03:14 PM
It's HERE!!! I downloaded it yesterday!!!

Dean Camlin
2011-04-12, 05:23 PM
It's HERE!!! I downloaded it yesterday!!!

Me too, finally!