PDA

View Full Version : Custom Window Tags

merge
2011-03-25, 03:04 PM
Hello,

I am trying to create a custom window tag in Revit 2011that displays the window number AND the dimensions in feet/inches for length and feet/inches for width. I have a window bubble divided in two with the top half showing the number or mark and the bottom half showing the widow size. The problem is that when a window is tagged, the window mark on the top half shows up but the size does not. The mark is an editable number and can be changed to what ever sequence I choose.
I am wondering two things, First... Why does the window size not appear and why can't it be edited? and Second...is there a way to have the bubble automatically display the size in the bubble when a window is tagged? At the very least, I would just like the sizing number to appear when a window is tagged and be editable.

I have been knocking myself out trying to get this right.

Thanks

cdatechguy
2011-03-25, 05:50 PM
For one thing your parameters such as Height - feet wont work....as they are text parameters not dimensions....

Also how are you getting the information for the Height - feet to populate?
Rule of thumb is that shared parameters don't contain anything that can be used in a calculation....such as -,+,/,*

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-25, 06:50 PM
Hello,

I am trying to create a custom window tag in Revit 2011that displays the window number AND the dimensions in feet/inches for length and feet/inches for width. I have a window bubble divided in two with the top half showing the number or mark and the bottom half showing the widow size. The problem is that when a window is tagged, the window mark on the top half shows up but the size does not. The mark is an editable number and can be changed to what ever sequence I choose.
I am wondering two things, First... Why does the window size not appear and why can't it be edited? and Second...is there a way to have the bubble automatically display the size in the bubble when a window is tagged? At the very least, I would just like the sizing number to appear when a window is tagged and be editable.

I have been knocking myself out trying to get this right.

Thanks

Hi. Why not just use the Type Name instead. Most windows and doors have the size in the type name.
See attached image.

Regards,

merge
2011-03-28, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses. My notices went to my junk mail for some reason so this is why I am now replying.

.So first to cdatechguy... I don't know the answer to that. This is the first attempt at this and can't find any real resources on the subject or I'm just not sure where to start looking. (why I took this route in the first place.) Could you elaborate further for me on the "information to populate" question?

To Teresa.Martin... Your suggestion sounds logical and simple. I will give it a try. Is there anything more to consider with this method? I assume this will automatically place the corresponding information without any manual input? Can I determine the font style etc?

Thanks and please keep the ideas coming if there are others to share! Please remember I am new to this part of the software and may require more detailed explanations.

cdatechguy
2011-03-29, 05:27 PM
Unless you have the same parameters in all your windows.....the dimensions in your tags wont work...as they are set as Text parameters... That is all I was trying to say...

So all your windows will need to have Height - feet, Height - inches, Width - feet and Width - inches already added and filled in on each window you want to tag.

Essentially what Teresa is suggesting is a heck of a lot easier than modifying 4 parameters...

Which by the way, they will jumble up once you get to double digits... ;)

Teresa.Martin
2011-03-30, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the responses. My notices went to my junk mail for some reason so this is why I am now replying.

To Teresa.Martin... Your suggestion sounds logical and simple. I will give it a try. Is there anything more to consider with this method? I assume this will automatically place the corresponding information without any manual input? Can I determine the font style etc?

Hi. Yes, it should place it without manual input, as that was already done when the window type size was created. Now, as to this being accurate. That depends on the user. For instance you could modify a 24"x 24" window without changing the type name. It may actually now be 24" x 36", but if the user did update the type name, it will be wrong.

Regards,