PDA

View Full Version : BIM Model for teaching a class?

jefflinneman
2011-03-29, 01:30 AM
I am teaching a course on BIM and Construction and was looking for a suitable Revit model I could make available for the students to use for a project. The idea is that they would take a model that was completed to a point that they could develop a prelim estimate, and make changes to the model to make the building greener/more efficient. (I did not want them to build there own model from scratch for the project).

Does anyone have any recommendations or help on this front?

P.S. - fellow faculty has tried to reach out to Autodesk for a model but no luck so far.

Thanks,

Jeff

rosskirby
2011-03-29, 02:07 AM
Why not just use the sample project that comes with Revit? I think 2010 and 2011 came with something called the "Advanced Sample Project" (or something like that). And 2009 had the Firehouse Flats (or maybe Freight House Flats).

jefflinneman
2011-03-29, 03:18 PM
It appears there is only a metric version of the 2011 advanced sample project(?) unless I'm missing something. I also no longer have any pre 2011 files on my computer. Are they still available on the Autodesk website? i've had trouble locating them.

Thanks

RobG
2011-03-29, 03:22 PM
using the metric one to show that you can easily switch the units might be a good thing also. However, the imperial version should be there as well.

don't discredit the simpler sample project of the house on the hill. That project is nice cause it keeps it simple for the intro side of things, all the while covering a LOT of topics, from topo, walls, curtain wall, windows, doors, roofs, floors, etc,etc,etc.. it's got a LOT covered.

jefflinneman
2011-03-29, 03:43 PM
I thought about just using the metric version and converting but all of the families are metric (doors, windows, etc.) And strangely enough, I only have one sample file - rac_advanced_sample_project.rvt and it is metric. Can I download the imperial file directly from Autodesk?

I prefer the larger file due to some exercises they will perform on water usage and energy analysis. I may be wrong about this... Not sure, though.

micah.peterson
2011-03-29, 06:34 PM
Go to http://students.autodesk.com

Setup a free account (I'm assuming you're a teacher or involved with an education program).

Login

Download free curriculium with a ton of datasets.

Or

Go to: http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470626968.html

Under the downloads tab for this book it has a TON of data to use however you like.