PDA

View Full Version : Architecture / MEP workflow?

wes199518
2011-04-01, 09:33 PM
I am currently working on a project with a 2 consultants (MEP and structural) and for all of us it is our first time doing a project in Revit. My MEP engineer just asked a question that I wasn't sure how answer - who should place the plumbing fixtures? Since they will be the ones specifying the fixtures, would it make sense for them to place them in the model? Or should they send us the families, we place them and then they can copy/monitor? What is typical? Please advise.....

JStoney27
2011-04-02, 12:42 PM
As the Designer, I would think that you want control over the orientation and quantity of the fixtures placed. Therefore, you should place the fixtures in your model as a part of your building design. when you MEP consultant receives your file(s), they will copy/monitor your fixtures. You do not have to use their fixtures. when they copy/monitor they can tell Revit how to "translate" your fixtures to the ones in their model. It is easier for them, however, if you use their fixtures. That way they can simply copy your placed fixtures without having to translate. This is applicable to all Electrical, Mechanical, and Pluming fixtures.

If you don't need or want control over the design and orientation of the fixtures, you can simply let them place them in their model. Understand that you do NOT have the ability to copy/monitor Plumbing/Mech/Elec fixtures from the MEP model. That is a function specific to Revti MEP. If you wanted the fixtures in your model after they are placed, you would have to A) open the MEP model, select all fixtures, copy/paste into your model. B) select individually from the linked model, copy/paste into your model. C) adjust your V/G overides to show what you want to see in your project views.

Mike Sealander
2011-04-02, 11:52 PM
Just like in the "old days", architects tend to own the model, or background drawings. Let the MEP guys draw single line diagrams on top of your fixtures. A lot of this has fee implications.
Let the structural guys build the structure themselves, although I think this tends to get tricky if you are working on a load-bearing wall project.