PDA

View Full Version : Roof Fascias

rodneyf
2005-01-06, 08:21 PM
I know this has been talked about before and I have read all the other posts, but I really think this needs to be addressed by the factory. Currently the fascias are placed according to the roof edge you select and that is fine, however there needs to be an option that allows one to place the fascia and then be able to have the roof finish material extend down over the fascia profile. So it is in line or flush with the top of the sheathing or finish material if that is what you desire. This is most notable when you have a roof that has a gable end then the fascias do not clean up at all. See the attached image for what is the current way Revit does this. Okay done with my rant for now.

Thanks,

sbrown
2005-01-07, 02:53 AM
Rodney, I agree completely. There is a fairly simple workaround though. Basically i create 2 roofs. 1 structural, 1 finish. attache the fascia to the structural roof and then create the finish roof offset from the overhang of the struct. roof. It is double the work unfortunatley but the results are good.

JTF
2005-01-07, 04:00 AM
Just wondering if this would work for you.

rookwood
2005-01-07, 09:58 AM
JTF:

Is this a family you would use as a hosted sweep? If so, does it automatically miter at the corners with the main roof/gutters?

Also, as both designer and builder, your section drawn is not the way it would be built in the field, as you have your roof section built over the finish siding material. However, it works great for the presentation elevations and 3D. Is this something you would draw as a 2D detail on your section sheets to indicate the finish siding applied after the rough framing (rafters, sheathing, flashing, etc.)

PeterJ
2005-01-07, 12:06 PM
I have used a fascia profile to make the edge of the roof before, its just a 40 mm thick projection with a type parameter for the angle. That gives a simple tile overhang and then I drop the fascia and gutter by appropriate ammounts. It gives a real world finish but it may be considered overmodelling as you can detail these things pretty quickly in sections with filled regions and detail components.

I'm pretty sure it has been posted here before but if you can't find it let me know and I'll dig it out and upload it.

rodneyf
2005-01-07, 12:11 PM
Scott,
I have done that and I understand that it is a fairly simple workaround but it is still a workaround. Why is it that a $99 program can do it correctly and a $4,000 est. program has to have a workaround. Maybe the Revit team could make the roof system families similar to the wall system families in the way you can unlock the finish layers and give them an offset from the base point. JTF, I have done it that way also but doesn't work at all conditions. I have even created a fascia profile with the roof pitch built into it and that works also except when you have a gable end then your fascia slopes there also and that is where you want it to be flat (ie parallel to the roof finish). And to make matters worse the one person in my office who loves Archicad found out about this situation and promptly sent me an email stating that Archicad can do it with no problem. I have not asked for proof yet so I can't verify or deny the allegations.

Thanks,

JTF
2005-01-07, 12:29 PM
Will post more of an explaination when I get back from work.

Thanks JTF

aaronrumple
2005-01-07, 03:08 PM
I'd like to be able to pull a material like I can in a wall section, but I think the fascia's work pretty darn well. JFT's example isn't an example of the software failing to represent construction, but just the way the architect drew the project. I think you'll find my attached example probably more to your taste.

It would be nice if the fascia had a slope ref. like the balusrade so the flashings I create could be a bit more automated.

hdjohnson
2005-01-07, 05:01 PM
I'd like to be able to pull a material like I can in a wall section, but I think the fascia's work pretty darn well. JFT's example isn't an example of the software failing to represent construction, but just the way the architect drew the project. I think you'll find my attached example probably more to your taste.

It would be nice if the fascia had a slope ref. like the balusrade so the flashings I create could be a bit more automated.

Aaron, I like what you've done there, and it seems like it works perfect for hip roofs. I was wonder what do you do at the gable end so that the Fascia's will miter?

JTF
2005-01-08, 08:43 AM
JTF:

Is this a family you would use as a hosted sweep? If so, does it automatically miter at the corners with the main roof/gutters?

Also, as both designer and builder, your section drawn is not the way it would be built in the field, as you have your roof section built over the finish siding material. However, it works great for the presentation elevations and 3D. Is this something you would draw as a 2D detail on your section sheets to indicate the finish siding applied after the rough framing (rafters, sheathing, flashing, etc.)
Rookwood:

Yes I use a hosted family that I have offset back so when loaded and applied with the hosted sweep under roof fascia on the modeling tab of the design bar I just pick the roof generated fascia and away I go. It does miter at the corners but with the return roof which is a smaller roof attached to the main roof I normally leave it out (but you do not have to) and then pull the tabs together and this will miter the same. The beauty is that when I apply my gutter it miters automatically at the small roof as I am appling the gutter to the fascia sweep.

As for the construction I have used both the method of a stud wall where the framing must line up but have also in most cases used the method I show but without the little roof cover. This unaligned framing happens quite often when siding or stucco is used above stone or brick at the second floor level. The cantilever is achevied with the second floor joist system.

Thanks JTF

aaronrumple
2005-01-08, 06:45 PM
Like this.... I do consider it a work-around and wish these two conditions were more automatic. Bit it does show the flexibility of the Fascia and gutter tools....

JTF
2005-01-08, 07:20 PM
Arron:

That is neat the way that is done. I've always created solids for that condition.
Thanks for the info.

hdjohnson
2005-01-10, 04:59 AM
Like this.... I do consider it a work-around and wish these two conditions were more automatic. Bit it does show the flexibility of the Fascia and gutter tools....

Aaron thanks for taking the time to do this. I really like what you've done, and I'm going to start using it in my models. It really looks great!