PDA

View Full Version : Rafter notch?

gjburkett
2005-01-06, 10:26 PM
Is there a way to cut the rafter to that it "sits" on the top plate? Right now, I have them unconnected because if I connect them, Revit cuts the top plate and it keeps the rafter as is instead of keeping the top plate as is and notching out the rafter so that it will sit on it.

beegee
2005-01-07, 07:46 AM
This was graphically covered in a recent thread - Roof Orientation. (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=12477&page=2&pp=10&highlight=roof+rafter+truss)

If you use Pick Wall, extend into core and Rafter type roof, the roof sits on the inner face of the top plate.

If you use Pick Wall, extend into core and Truss type roof, the roof sits on the outer face of the top plate.

gjburkett
2005-01-07, 03:21 PM
If you use Pick Wall, extend into core and Rafter type roof, the roof sits on the inner face of the top plate.
Yes, I assume you are saying when you are creating a roof to use "pick wall" and make sure you check "extend into wall (to core)". I have done that. Then, when my "attach" my walls attach to the roof, the rafter looks like it's sitting on the inner edge, but it cut off the rest of the top plate. See attached pictures of the walls detached and attached versions to see what I am referring to.

patricks
2005-01-07, 04:00 PM
hmm looks like what we need is the option to "cut" the overlapping wall out of the roof, similar to the way you can cut the overlapping floor out of a wall when you draw a floor and extend it into the core of the wall.

gjburkett
2005-01-07, 04:13 PM
Exactly. So I'm not crazy? You can't do it with this current version?

tonyisenhoff
2005-01-07, 04:37 PM
Use the "Edit Cut Profile" tool. Draw the notch out, with the little blue arrow pointing out towards the roof. See the attached images...

Is this what your looking for?

gjburkett
2005-01-07, 04:57 PM
Yes, just like that. Darn, I guess I am crazy. lol Thanks! :)

gjburkett
2005-01-07, 05:05 PM
Tony, I just realized something. You still can't "attach" the wall to the roof because once you do that, it does the same thing. The cut stays there, but it still cuts the top plate for some reason. That could come back to haunt me in the long run if they're not attached, right?

gjburkett
2005-01-07, 10:37 PM
Tony, you still there?