PDA

View Full Version : Bug: Structural framing detail override doesn't work

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-06, 11:15 PM
Try this: insert one of those fancy new OWSJ families into a view (K-Series Bar Joist - whatever size you want).

At coarse detail, the webs don't show up. So you go to Visibility and crank up Structural Framing to Fine. Do you see the webs now? Nope.

:banghead: You have to set the OVERALL view detail level to fine to see the webs! Argghhhhh.....

Steven Campbell
2005-01-07, 08:05 PM
Wes,

Did you change the Symbolic Representation Parameter in the joist family from "From Family" to "From Project Settings"?

It looks like the line used for the webs loses it's visibility when you change the to "From Project", interesting... I will file that bug.

Steven Campbell
Autodesk Revit

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-08, 06:39 AM
I edited these families' Family Category and Parameters settings so that symbolic representation is "From Project Settings" rather than "From Family". That allows the families to show fine detail while the view is set to coarse. What is this setting for? It's not documented in the Help files from what I can see.

Thanks for the tip, too, BTW!

Steven Campbell
2005-01-10, 05:31 PM
The intent of this parameter was to give the user a chose of using their own course representation or having revit generate one. The advantage of having a user created one "From Family" is it does not have to be just a line, if you look at the course representation of the open web joist you will see it is basically an outline of the joist in model lines defined in the family, the disadvantage of the "From Family" setting is the symbolic cutback is not controlled from the structural settings dialog. If you change it to "From Project Settings" Revit automatically draws the course representation as just a mode line but the cutback is controllable from the structural settings dialog. Any existing model lines in course views are ignored and not displayed. The bug is it ignored not just course model lines but also medium model lines which were what the webs were created from.

Hope this helps...

Steven Campbell
Autodesk Revit