PDA

View Full Version : Windows with "phased" wall? [PIC]

kappy
2011-04-13, 01:54 PM
Hey guys, please see the attached image. Here you can see what I want to achieve, this is just for demonstration, made a masking region to demonstrate.

I Wonder how you guys would make this kind of phasing on the inside of a window? The best thing would be to be able to have it in the window-family.

Is it even possible to split walls with different angles?

Teresa.Martin
2011-04-13, 05:25 PM
Hey guys, please see the attached image. Here you can see what I want to achieve, this is just for demonstration, made a masking region to demonstrate.

I Wonder how you guys would make this kind of phasing on the inside of a window? The best thing would be to be able to have it in the window-family.

Is it even possible to split walls with different angles?

Hi. Yes, it is possible. You can use a void to cut the wall. The tricky part is embedding it in a window. You can build a new window, but the you cannot have an opening cut and a void cut in the same object (you get an error). So you would have to make two voids or one to cut away the wall and cut the opening, which does not work very well. My suggestion is to place the window and create an in place wall void to cut the wall away from the window if this is what you want to see in 3d. For just plan based symbols, you could just do this as a 2d representation in the window family.

Regards,

tomnewsom
2011-04-14, 03:58 PM
So you would have to make two voids or one to cut away the wall and cut the opening, which does not work very well.

Nonsense, it works very well indeed!

You can create a single void extrusion. The workplane for the extrusion is the Cill ref plane, and the top is locked to the Head ref plane. In plan, you use the inside face of frame to align your sketch lines and draw the shape exactly as you have it in the attachment to the OP. Here's one of my windows doing exactly that:

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80038&d=1301072460

I have additional ref planes in the window family, outside the left and right edges, that control the width of the reveal.

Teresa.Martin
2011-04-15, 12:06 AM
Nonsense, it works very well indeed!

You can create a single void extrusion. The workplane for the extrusion is the Cill ref plane, and the top is locked to the Head ref plane. In plan, you use the inside face of frame to align your sketch lines and draw the shape exactly as you have it in the attachment to the OP. Here's one of my windows doing exactly that:

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80038&d=1301072460

I have additional ref planes in the window family, outside the left and right edges, that control the width of the reveal.

First of all, yes, as I said, you can get it to work, just not very well. I am thinking more in terms of being able to change the cut with parameters, etc. And, you will have to make a new one for each window type, unless you have some trick up your sleeve where you nested the void object and got it to cut correctly in multiple families??.

The steps you outlined above would require fairly in depth knowledge of family creation and using sketch lines, etc. in the family.

This is one of those questions about how much do you need to model in 3d vs 2d.

Regards,

kappy
2011-04-15, 11:29 AM
Do you guys mean that I shall be possible to make a void in the wall, in the window-family? This is something that I cannot achieve, but maybe I'm missing something? (Btw, this is probably my biggest issue when making families. That some times voids just dont want to cut stuff)

See the attached file, here I just tried making a void in the wall in a windowfamily, but nothing happens. If anyone got any hints and/or maybe if you could upload your window family so I can see how you solved it?

EDIT: Made some intenze googling, found out that you might have to use the Cut-Geometry tool to make some voids cut what you want. Mind-Blown! So much problem I've had with this. Now I'l probably be able to sort it out.