PDA

View Full Version : Creating a new Render Material

kmarquis
2011-04-14, 08:25 PM
I understand how to create a new material but I just don't get how to create a new Render Material that isn't overwriting another one. It seems like the Autodesk Library is Locked and cannot be modified but I want to take a Material such as "Burlap", Duplicate it, rename it and map a new png to it. I can't figure out how to do so in the meantime I've just taken "Burlap" and mapped a new png to it that doesn't match the name description.

See the attached images.

Revitaoist
2011-04-14, 11:02 PM
You should be able to right click on the material and duplicate. There was an update for 2011 fixing a material editor problem that caused Revit to crash, you may need to get that update.

narlee
2011-04-15, 12:17 AM
Is it me, or is the this thing still a disaster? I see you can duplicate a material (although Revit responds as if you're looking for a million dollar loan on a 100,000 dollar property - they still offer that, right?:)). But still poor adjustment tools to the canned materials, and no ability to import your own? This is not credible, or did I miss something and being completely unfair.

narlee
2011-04-15, 01:11 AM
Well. The tools could be worse. But get this. You can't edit them. There's a bug. Will have to send in a support request. Just wish ADesk hadn't made the decision to dumb down their technology in Revit to support Max purchases. It's a pity.

narlee
2011-04-15, 01:17 AM
OMG. What a nightmare putting in a request to the subscription center is. I think I fell into the bureaucratic rabbit hole...run by the company computer...on a do loop.

sbrown
2011-04-15, 12:24 PM
You can't create a new autodesk material, but you can create your own. In 2011 it only saves it in the project. In 2012 you can save it in your own library.

narlee
2011-04-15, 12:31 PM
Ahah. So that's the new feature. I think there was some hope that one could import with this version. Thanks, Scott. Well, incremental progress, at least!

narlee
2011-04-15, 06:32 PM
So Lance Coffey, from ADesk, got back to me already, looking for more info. But it turns out that the error didn't repeat itself. Apparently, when I restarted the program, it cleared the problem. :- #

narlee
2011-04-23, 05:55 PM
So what we're saying is if you want some great stone or brick material/texture that you can only get in the form of a jpg, say purchased off the internet, we can't get it into Revit? Really? So you are working with a building and want to decently simulate an existing material, or add a new one with a closer look than what Revit has canned, you can't?

narlee
2011-04-24, 02:17 PM
So what we're saying is if you want some great stone or brick material/texture that you can only get in the form of a jpg, say purchased off the internet, we can't get it into Revit? Really? So you are working with a building and want to decently simulate an existing material, or add a new one with a closer look than what Revit has canned, you can't?

It was right under my nose...(lthough I could not find this in the help files). Remove the existing image; click on the (now blank) image area.