PDA

View Full Version : Realistic View - turn off sun?

RossMc
2011-04-20, 10:53 PM
I do a lot of work developing Tenant Improvement spaces that are not lit by sun light and I present these spaces via a live 3d walkthrough using Revit's Realistic Camera View.

The problem I am having is that I cannot turn off the sun. Setting the intensity to 0 does not turn it off, it just tones it down.

The best look I can manage is setting the sun so it is straight above the space regardless of the camera position, bringing the indirect light up to about 55, and turning on Ambient Occlusion. The problem with this is the sun light still shines straight down on everything and washes out all of my horizontal surfaces so the color is much lighter than it should be which throws off the visual.

Is there a way to turn off the sun? If I could turn it off I would have exactly what I want.

I guess what I'm really going for is a view like consistent colors + ambient occlusion, but with all materials showing.

Revitaoist
2011-04-21, 05:30 PM
You could put the whole thing in a mile wide box, or model a giant umbrella type thing. just an idea....

Scott D Davis
2011-04-21, 06:21 PM
No, there is no way to turn off the Sun in a realistic view. Consistent Colors is the only shaded/colored type of view that can have the "lighting" turned off. Maybe a good one for the wishlist...I could see this becoming another checkbox in the Graphics Display options, much like "show edges". There could be a checkbox for "Consistent Colors" that would be available for Shaded views and Realistic Views, rather than a Consistent Colors style.

Design Apparatus
2011-04-21, 06:34 PM
If you change the time of day to when the sun is down for the location and time of year, would that solve your problem? i.e. make it midnight?
Just a thought.

RossMc
2011-04-22, 03:06 PM
It is not possible to manually set the degree of the sun so it is under the floor, and even if it were possible, the way the view is drawn allows the lighting from the sun to shine through everything and light all surfaces at an intensity based on their angle in relation to the sun position.

The views they have now should represent generic settings templates, and they should give users access to all of the view options in an 'advanced' dialog so they can customize a specific style of view. The settings would include all indirect lighting, sun light, ambient occlusion variables, material drawing options, edges, silhouttes, etc. so a user can get exactly the visual they want.

Viswaprakash
2015-05-29, 05:20 AM
In "Sun Settings" dialog box, under Solar Study, choose "Lighting" to ge the default light settings in realistic view.