PDA

View Full Version : auto-select

DanielleAnderson
2005-01-07, 08:19 PM
Just wondering if there is a way to turn the auto-select off in Revit. I am working on the above-grade part of a building that is mostly underground and even though the underground stuff is covered by site work, Revit keeps wanting to auto-select things that are way underground and it's driving me nuts!
Also, along similar lines, is there a way to turn the autosnap on and off or modify it like in autocad?

Thanks!
Danielle

sfaust
2005-01-07, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by autoselect, but the snap settings are under settings->snaps. this dialog allows you to turn any of them on or off permanently as well as showing what the shortcuts are for each snap. "SO" turns all snaps off for that command. "SE" does endpoint snap only, etc.

this was one of my favorite discoveries - makes things a lot easier, hope that helps you.

DanielleAnderson
2005-01-07, 08:48 PM
Okay--here's what I mean by autoselect: when I just run my mouse over the active window and it wants to grab something. In this case I will run the mouse over the active window to, say, grab a wall and instead of letting me grab the wall, Revit wants me to grab some escalator that is like 3 stories below me that I can't even see in the view. So, I am just wondering if there are settings to control its sensitivity, etc. similar to the way you can change the auto-snap to just select endpoints.

Thanks,
Danielle

sfaust
2005-01-07, 08:54 PM
the only way I know to do that is by pressing tab to cyle through the possible selections...

patricks
2005-01-07, 09:14 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, all kinds of stuff pre-highlighting as you move the mouse around, even though you can't see the stuff. You might try checking your view depth parameters in the View Properties dialog box. If the view depth is set way below the level you're working on, and/or if the Bottom of the Primary View Range is set below the current level, I think it will allow pre-highlighting and selecting objects on levels below. If you set the depth and/or bottom to the current level, or to whatever level the grade is, I think it will just ignore all the objects below (won't show them because they're underground obviously, but won't try to pre-highlight them, either).

Wes Macaulay
2005-01-07, 11:33 PM
Limit the view range. If the Bottom value is raised up, you'll still see stuff below, but you won't window select it by accident. You can still Ctrl-click objects below the Bottom of the view range.

Note that objects between the Z values specified by View Depth, and the Bottom value of the view range, are still visible but not window-selectable.

And if you don't want to see them at all, make View Depth and the Bottom value the same Z value.

HTH

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-01-08, 12:52 AM
Danielle,
Before changing display settings in you 'real' view (the one that ends up on the sheet) duplicate views and creat a 'Working' view to mess around with view range, visibilty etc. That way you don't have to remember to go back and fix all the views you changed just so you could work on them.

DanielleAnderson
2005-01-08, 01:18 AM
Okay, so it is controlled by view ranges...
Thanks guys. :)