PDA

View Full Version : List of Keynote Values

antman
2011-04-25, 06:13 PM
Is there any way to generate a list of all the keynote values that exist in a project? Not *just* the keynotes that are tagged...

wmullett
2011-04-25, 06:34 PM
They don't exist in the project if there is no tag. If you want the complete list of available tags, just print the txt file. If you want the list of keynotes used in the project, regardless of the sheet it is placed on, read your HELP. It tells you how to create that legend.

antman
2011-04-25, 07:36 PM
They don't exist in the project if there is no tag. If you want the complete list of available tags, just print the txt file. If you want the list of keynotes used in the project, regardless of the sheet it is placed on, read your HELP. It tells you how to create that legend.

They can exist in the project un-tagged, in a type or material definition.
The online help was anything but.
I know what tags are available - I'm editing that file. There is a key I want to delete, but before I do so, I want to make sure it's not being used in the project.
Any links or suggestions for how I can do this?

wmullett
2011-04-25, 08:00 PM
If you do a keynote legend and DON'T FILTER BY SHEET - you get all the keynotes used in the project.... or didn't you even try it?

antman
2011-04-25, 08:24 PM
If you do a keynote legend and DON'T FILTER BY SHEET - you get all the keynotes used in the project.... or didn't you even try it?

Yes, I tried that. It didn't work. I got 17 blank entries, followed by a filled in row. It seems to be using what I had entered in before using a keynote file. This is my pilot project. When I was learning about keynotes, I started by trying to just fill in the text, but that wasn't giving me the results I wanted, so I specified a keynote file.

renogreen
2011-04-25, 08:53 PM
Keynotes will only show up in a keynote legend when they are used. Once an item is tagged, the keynote will show up in the legend. Make sure you have the .txt file pathed properly in the keynote settings. If you make any changes to the keynote .txt file you will have to close the Revit project and re-open it to see the changes take affect.

A keynote legend is treated like a schedule using fields, filters, etc. If your tagged items are not showing up make sure you haven't got them filtered out somehow. I've seen that happen a lot with schedules. If you need to generate something showing only those keynotes that are being used, you can export the keynote legend by going to Export > Reports > Schedules.

antman
2011-04-25, 09:18 PM
Keynotes will only show up in a keynote legend when they are used.

This is my understanding as well. My reason for this post wasn't so much about schedules, but whether there was any other functionality (maybe only through API?) that would allow me to generate a list of the keys used (again, not as a tag, but used in the definition of a family).

Once an item is tagged, the keynote will show up in the legend.

Check.

Make sure you have the .txt file pathed properly in the keynote settings.

Check.

If you make any changes to the keynote .txt file you will have to close the Revit project and re-open it to see the changes take affect.

Actually (and fortunately), you don't. .-) You can go to Keynoting Settings and re-select the .txt file.

A keynote legend is treated like a schedule using fields, filters, etc. If your tagged items are not showing up make sure you haven't got them filtered out somehow.

I haven't applied any filters.

I've seen that happen a lot with schedules. If you need to generate something showing only those keynotes that are being used, you can export the keynote legend by going to Export > Reports > Schedules.

Hmmm. Maybe this is part of my problem. My keynotes are legends, not schedules, because on the View tab, Create panel, Legends drop-down, there is an option for Keynote Legend, but the Schedules drop-down does not mention keynotes. Did I do something wrong?

renogreen
2011-04-25, 11:00 PM
Correct, it is created by making a Keynote Legend. My point was that it has fields, filters, sorting, formatting and appearance tabs, like a schedule does.