PDA

View Full Version : Extra IT costs with BIM

NerdlingOne
2011-04-25, 08:41 PM
We are talking about getting Revit products to do some work for the Fed.

When implementing Revit MEP or Structure, beside the cost of the new licenses, what other cost usually follow?

Would we need a separate database server? For instance, to set up another SQL server would cost us $25,000. And we would probably have to buff up our network to work between our other offices with WAN accelerators. Any others consideration like that?

dmorin
2011-04-27, 06:10 PM
1. about $600-1000 for each person to get trained for a 3-5 day course
2. Pay someone to install revit, setup templates and families to match or create office standard
4. no need for a SQL sever
3. File server with enough space to house revit projects say a typical revit project is 600MB-2GB with linked revit files from consultants, this can grow to 24GB if a very large project
4. office network speed of 1GB from end to end (1GB nic on server. 1GB cabling, 1GB switch and 1GB nic on workstation)
5. workstation that can handle it (windows 7 64bit, minimum i5 2.8ghz, 8GB ram, video card with 256MB memory and direct x 10 - recommended i7 3.8Ghz or xeon, 16GB ram, video card with 1-2GB and direct x 10
6. remote office - multi choices here each I'd say require atleast a 10-20Mb upload and download broadband speed
-revit server is included with 2011(on subscription) and with 2012 for free, needs server in each location and syncs central file in locations
-citrix xenapp or microsft hyper-v for revit 2012, remote desktop into a machine in main office - maybe around $15000 to set up a lot of factors can change the cost
-wan accelerator aka riverbed not cheap ($10000-40000 or more) and still slower than top 2 with revit files

rkitect
2011-04-27, 06:11 PM
You are on the right track here.

Some things that I've overlooked in my implementation experience that have come back to haunt us:

-WAN (Globalscape has one specifically geared towards Revit workflow in mind.) for those offices that have multiple locations working on the same models as well as remote disciplinary work.
-Revit Server hardware. Other may be able to pipe in on what is needed for this. I believe this requires a dedicated rack (or VM?)
-Good call on the SQL as well. Probably want a dedicated server (depending on your project load) but my resources indicate that if you have capacity, you can probably use an exiting server.
-Workstation upgrades. Look at the new 2012 recommended hardware. The new computer I got earlier this year is already out of date by 2012 standards. You can most likely get by (i use my 4gb macbook pro with parallels only having 2gb of ram and 256mb of video.. painful but usable) on less than recommended, but there is a recommendation for a reason. This is ESPECIALLY true for MEP. Even simple MEP models can get really boggy on average machines.
-Psychiatrist plan added to healthcare... Just sayin...
-Most likely if you are going the true BIM route, you will also need to investigate Navisworks for clear clash detection between MEP and Struct and other disciplines.
-Bandwidth... I'm guessing you have the infrastructure to support Revit Server data transportation. If not, you may want to look at throwing out that brick int he switcher room and getting something a bit shinier.

I think this is all can help with at the moment. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

rkitect
2011-04-27, 06:20 PM
4. no need for a SQL sever

Sorry, I was assuming ODBC usage. Correct that SQL is not required for Revit Server use.

SamuelAB
2011-08-25, 12:39 PM
Why would you use a server or a private cloud? Most people just use an FTP. It's not great, but it will have to do until Autodesk figures this stuff out.

For additional cost, you will need to consider training and new workstations for everyone. For about 2000$ you can get a GOOD workstation (24GB, Quadro400, Core i7 quad, HDD & SSD (for OS, Revit and Revit files))

pauljordan
2011-09-15, 03:50 PM
Don't overlook the need for a dedicated BIM Coordinator/Manager/Whatever you want to call them position.

On large projects, someone needs to take control of the Navisworks model making sure files get placed in the models they need to be placed in. They'll also need to be able to train your workers on using NavisWorks Simulate in order to run it on thier second monitor to see how routing of pipes, ducts, cables trays, etc. will look and fit in the actual model.

As a BIM Coordinator, I have 7 facilities on one project I'm working on at the moment. This project is a monster and I spend 80% of my time working in NavisWorks Manage, the other 20% in meetings about Clash Detection, meetings with the client, and space coordination meetings.

On this project I have close to 1000 xref .dwgs (Autocad MEP stuff) and about 35 different .nwc's (Revit Arch and Struc stuff) that need to be organized and tracked to make sure we see the right things in our models. The disciplines OWN what goes in the model, I just make sure it's there when they request it.

Make sure this person has both a very good laptop cadd station as well as a desktop they can be used for regenerating models on an hourly basis so your users have a current model to work with.

It helps that this person is a techie that can answer questions about the various packages of software your company is using.

We also have a Cad administrator that handles anything to do with packages for delivering, getting the drawings into the packages and transferring files back and forth between the 6 offices we work with.

and yes, you need a dedicated IT person because when you get into big jobs, Autocad MEP will burn up some computers. I've got a Dell Precision T3500 with 12gb of ram that's pretty much a vegetable these days that I only used for processing my model regenerations..

eng.abuzer947933
2012-01-05, 09:24 PM
more and more