PDA

View Full Version : Creating a spring..

asteele
2011-04-25, 10:21 PM
Hey guys. . . Any thoughts on how to create a spring? Or even a lockwasher?

Thanks for any input. . .

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-04-26, 03:29 AM
The easiest way is to use an Adaptive component. You can create a cylinder, divide the surface and then snap the adaptive points to the nodes on the divided surface.
Because you asked this in the conceptual modeling forum I'm assuming this is on a large scale and you aren't wanting to model actual springs?

asteele
2011-04-26, 02:08 PM
Actually, just posted in a hurry as I was heading out of work, posted to wrong forum. If it needs to be moved that is fine with me. . .

hadlari
2011-04-26, 02:47 PM
Here is a useful link from Zach Krons blog if you are thinking about modeling a spring.

http://buildz.blogspot.com/2010/01/way-smoother-parametric-helix-tool.html

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-04-26, 04:48 PM
Actually, just posted in a hurry as I was heading out of work, posted to wrong forum. If it needs to be moved that is fine with me. . .
I was asking because if you are modeling to that level of detail I would suggest you should probably have a good reason ;)
If you don't need it to be parametric to any degree you can probably do it faster by creating it ACAD using the helix tool and then importing it into Revit if you really need it. Again, I would caution against over modeling.