PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Network Catalog organization

jzampardi
2011-04-26, 09:02 PM
I'm curious how people are setting up their pipe network catalog for multiple versions of Civil 3D. Do you use a separate catalog for 10, 11, 12 or just use one catalog for all? I currently have it set up to be on the network so all users share the catalog. But then have a separate catalog for each version of C3D. I'm wondering if this is really necessary. Thoughts?

civil3Dguide
2011-05-12, 12:53 AM
Why would you use 3 different versions of C3D?

BlackBox
2011-05-12, 02:12 AM
Why would you use 3 different versions of C3D?

Client/Contractor driven.

Glenn Pope
2011-05-12, 01:17 PM
Client/Contractor driven

Also there can be older projects that you don't want to move to the next version. We did have some projects that were created in 2009. So glad those projects are finally done lol.

Glenn Pope
2011-05-12, 01:21 PM
I'm curious how people are setting up their pipe network catalog for multiple versions of Civil 3D. Do you use a separate catalog for 10, 11, 12 or just use one catalog for all? I currently have it set up to be on the network so all users share the catalog. But then have a separate catalog for each version of C3D. I'm wondering if this is really necessary. Thoughts?

We have ours setup to be separated by versions. One issue I can see is if you make a change to a part using a new version of C3D and older version wouldn't be able to read the file.

BlackBox
2011-05-12, 05:18 PM
We have ours setup to be separated by versions. One issue I can see is if you make a change to a part using a new version of C3D and older version wouldn't be able to read the file.

Albeit time consuming to do, the only way I could see keeping all versions 'up-to-date', and using the same library, would be to switch back to the oldest version in production and make the change there.

^^ Untested ^^

Glenn Pope
2011-05-12, 09:07 PM
Albeit time consuming to do, the only way I could see keeping all versions 'up-to-date', and using the same library, would be to switch back to the oldest version in production and make the change there.

^^ Untested ^^

That would probably work. Only thing would be if there are new features that you would want to take advantage of. Tho can't think of any added to parts.

Luckily we don't worry about going back and updating templates and other support files for older versions of C3D. Current version is updated. Older version are maintained until the last project still using that version is finished. Then they are removed from the server.

BlackBox
2011-05-12, 09:10 PM
That would probably work. Only thing would be if there are new features that you would want to take advantage of. Tho can't think of any added to parts.

Luckily we don't worry about going back and updating templates and other support files for older versions of C3D. Current version is updated. Older version are maintained until the last project still using that version is finished. Then they are removed from the server.

That is how we work also... I'll give the example that we're now transitioning to Civil 3D 2011, from 2009 LDT. We still have active projects in 2009, but all new projects will be done in C3D.

indydrafter
2011-06-06, 12:57 AM
Keep in mind when working with multiple versions of Civil 3D that pipe network parts are now built using the .NET platform in 2011 and 2012. This can cause some compatibility issues if you are taking an older project into 2011 or 2012, because you'll be prompted to either work with the parts as is, convert them to .NET parts, or download/install/use the VBA Compatibility module that Autodesk made available. Realize that if you were to convert the parts to .NET, they would no longer be usable in older versions of the software, and you may have limited usability with the parts if you choose the option to work with them without converting or using the VBA Compatibility module.

I would suggest sharing the catalog among all VBA based parts for older versions and a separate for .NET parts for newer versions of the software. That way if something were to need updated or changed, you would be able to get away with only making the change twice.

jzampardi
2011-06-08, 12:32 PM
That is pretty much how we have it set up. A catalog for 10 and earlier and one for 11+.