PDA

View Full Version : floor with sloped underside?

Limbatus
2011-05-05, 05:29 PM
i have attached an image of what the cross section looks like. I'd like to use a floor, to retain most of the bim tools, scheduling ability, and ease of manipulation. any ideas?

hadlari
2011-05-05, 07:31 PM
Under the home tab i would use componant, model in place, select the floor catagory and then just mass it out. you should retain most of bim tools.

dzatto
2011-05-06, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't model in place anything, unless it was a last resort.

You can make a variable thickness floor by creating a floor with multiple layers, then select the variable check box.

see here:

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2010/ENU/Revit%20Architecture%202010%20Users%20Guide/RAC/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ff1d61fe411049ed455e-66ed.htm,topicNumber=d0e76913

rtaube
2011-05-06, 11:50 PM
Can you give any reasons for not modeling in place? I'm still new to this but I have heard that before.

Teresa.Martin
2011-05-07, 12:21 AM
i have attached an image of what the cross section looks like. I'd like to use a floor, to retain most of the bim tools, scheduling ability, and ease of manipulation. any ideas?

Hi. You can do this as an in place family and that would probably be your best bet. Unfortunately, you cannot use the variable thickness as it will indent the top, not the bottom (the reverse of what you want). You could do part of the floor as a system family and the cambered part as custom so you have some control.

Any other thoughts from uber Revit gurus whom want to weigh in here?

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-05-07, 06:59 AM
rtaube,
Using a large number of in-place families in your project may affect file performance and using an in-place family to create the floor will only create a single piece of geometry that belongs to the floor category.
If your floor consists of one layer (e.g. a cast-in-place concrete slab) then an in place family is not a bad solution.
If your floor is more complex I'd probably create the floor as usual then use in-place voids to carve away the bottom portions of the slab.