PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Impact Screen Family

dgt.mantis
2011-05-05, 07:05 PM
Hello all!

I have created a hurricane impact screen as would be necessary in renovation work here in Florida (or any other hurricane prone areas). The family is based on the manufacturer's details with a side hinge and a perforated panel.

The problem is that the family is VERY heavy. It takes a long time to load not to mention and eternity to modify the size for the different windows in the project.

It is based on 4 sweeps for the frames and an extrusion for the panel itself. I have also included grouped linework to show on the plan and section views.

So, my question is what could be causing it to be so heavy? Is it simply the 4 sweeps, grouped line work or the 2 instance parameters controling height and width? Or is it all of the above?

Any feedback or tips on how to make it better would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
dgt

BrenDillon-IHA
2011-05-05, 08:30 PM
If you wouldn't expect to see this in a rendering, walkthrough or other 3d view, I would question the use of the sweeps. This may be a family that would be better served as strictly 2d, like the default toilet families.

Just a suggestion.

cdatechguy
2011-05-05, 10:42 PM
I'd use a detail component instead of the model lines/groups....that would help some...Just removing the groups the file size is down to 260kb

dgt.mantis
2011-05-09, 06:36 PM
So, I tried eliminating the model groups and replacing them with detail components but the file ended up being bigger. I decided to just eliminate the model groups all together and make seperate detail groups of the screen plan and section that we could drop in at larger scales.

Anyway, thanks for all of the input.

Regards,
dgt

patricks
2011-05-09, 08:13 PM
I would do the frame pieces as simple extrusions instead of those sweeps with complicated profiles. Leave all the shapes and ins and outs of the frame profile to the details.