PDA

View Full Version : Where are the walls?

Sandlass
2011-05-06, 04:28 PM
I am beginning to transition into Revit Architecture 2012 from Autocad. I am a residential architect. My question is this...My current setup does not have all of the walls and other families available that the tutorials are using. I will need to have wood framed exterior walls with siding or stone and the only walls offered are conc or metal framed. Am I mistaken that Revit should be ready to use out of the box or do I need to customize it first.

Other forums I have read say to load the residential-default template but after searching my computer there are no templates besides the 2 project example's.

Please help, I cant seem to get past the first stage of creating walls!

cdatechguy
2011-05-06, 05:03 PM
Yeah, you will have to create them....but the nice thing is once you create them you can use them on other projects...

Personally I start out with a generic 4" wall and 6" walls then change them to something else later...

Might try the sample projects as well....
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2012\Program\Samples

cganiere
2011-05-06, 06:47 PM
Some manufacturers offer walls with their products.

dzatto
2011-05-06, 08:54 PM
Revit should have loaded 4 templates OOTB.

Residential default
Commercial default
Construction default

Try going under the Application Menu in Revit. (The big red R in the upper left corner). Hover over New (or hit the black triangle on the end)
Select Project.

When the dialogue box opens, hit the browse button. Make sure that project is selected. It should automatically open up to the imperial template folder, where the OOTB templates are stored.

FYI you have to hit new under the application menu. If you hit the shortcut button in the QAT, it will automatically open the default template.

Sandlass
2011-05-06, 09:12 PM
Thank you for the help but there are no templates in my template folders. I installed 2011 last month and last week I installed the new 2012 update.

It there an installation problem?

I know there is going to be a learning curve after using AutoCad for 15 years but this just sucks! I sure hope Revit is as good as many forums say it is. :lol:

I have also searched my hard drive for the template file types and nothing.

I am trying to teach myself since the class I signed up for was canceled due to no intrest other than me. Any suggestions from the masses?

Thank you in advance. I cant wait to actually use Revit.

Sandlass
2011-05-06, 09:18 PM
Are you all using Revit Architecture 2012?

From what I have read a lot of people are having a lot of problems.

I know I am green but none of the advice I read or get is right for what I am looking at. I think they moved everything around. Which is fine for me since I know nothing but it makes it hard to get advice.

just wondering.

dzatto
2011-05-06, 09:25 PM
Hmmm, sounds like they didn't install for some reason.

The shots are from work, running 2011. I have 2012 at home and the templates are there for me. That's why I showed you how to get to the templates from inside Revit. It should automatically open to the correct folder. Just in case the search didn't pick them up.

As for Revit, I am an ACAD / ACA user for 17 years. I finally went to Revit last year (self taught) and I will never go back to ACA. I cringe when I have to do any work to an older project in ACA. I LOVE Revit. And you will too. It will take a little while to get used to, but don't give up. You'll be glad you switched.

Sandlass
2011-05-06, 09:33 PM
Well I found the template at Autodesk seek and it is exactly what I had in mind. I will have to find or create my own walls but at least now I have wood studs w/ siding and a project template geared toward what I need to start with.

Thank you all so much for helping.

I have the Mastering Revit Architecture 2011 book and am waiting for the Residential design Revit 2012 to come out in a week or so. The latter walks you through a project so that would be helpful.

As it seems like a lot of Revit users are self taught, does anyone have any suggestions. The UTube videaos are helpful.

Have a great weekend!