PDA

View Full Version : How can I print to scale?

Nymph
2011-05-09, 06:20 AM
Hi guys,

First of all, I appologize if my question is silly, but I've tried everything to print my work to scale 1:20 &1:50 & couldn't do it.

I need to print my plans &sections to scale 1:50 & 1:20 asap & I'm really stressed out about this. Can someone please help me? I'd really appreciate any tip, link, or solution to this.

Thanks in advance,
Carrie

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-05-09, 06:46 AM
Set your view scale to the final required plot scale and then plot. You can place the view on a sheet to see how big it will print and be sure to plot 100% from the sheet view.

Nymph
2011-05-09, 06:22 PM
Set your view scale to the final required plot scale and then plot. You can place the view on a sheet to see how big it will print and be sure to plot 100% from the sheet view.

Thank you for replying! <3

I'm familiar with the "plot" option in AutoCAD, but where's the one in Revit architecture?

& will it be ok if I open the file in photoshop?

More detail would be awesome :Oops:

cdatechguy
2011-05-09, 06:43 PM
You scale shows in the lower left hand corner of your view......or in the properties window (first field on the list...)

To print...press CTRL+P or click the Big R upper Left Hand Corner....and select Print

When you get to the Print screen select Settings....There you can adjust your Zoom..

Nymph
2011-05-09, 07:54 PM
You scale shows in the lower left hand corner of your view......or in the properties window (first field on the list...)

To print...press CTRL+P or click the Big R upper Left Hand Corner....and select Print

When you get to the Print screen select Settings....There you can adjust your Zoom..

I want to import it to photoshop to scale. will this method work?

patricks
2011-05-09, 08:18 PM
I want to import it to photoshop to scale. will this method work?

Why would you want to do that when you can print to scale from Revit?

IMHO Revit is tons simpler to print than from AutoCAD. You simply set your sheet scale for your view, place it on a title block sheet, and print at 100% zoom and centered on a sheet size in your print settings that matches your title block size. The print will be scaled correctly unless there is a problem with the printer itself. All text, annotations, etc. will be sized exactly as the way you see it on the screen with respect to the graphical elements.

You can print a view directly without it being on a sheet, but it's best to use the Preview button to make sure everything you need fits on the paper size you choose in the settings for your printer.

You can also print a large sized sheet on smaller paper for checkset review by using the Fit to Paper option instead of Zoom 100%. Or if you want something like a true half-size print, print at Zoom 50%.

There is absolutely no need to export out to a different program to get the drawing to the correct scale. Not to mention quality would be horrible if you went that route.

patricks
2011-05-09, 08:23 PM
To answer your original question, are you trying to print out sheets with yours plans (I assume at 1:50) and sections (1:20 assumed) on them? Or are you just printing the plan and section views directly, each view on a separate sheet?

Of course the answer to both is to set each view to the required scale, print at Zoom 100%, and be done with it.

The other question is, are these the drawing scales that will be used for the final versions of your plans and sections? If not, you can duplicate any view with detailing to create "working" versions of those views, and then change those duplicates to the required 1:50 and 1:20 scales, and again print those out at Zoom 100%.

cdatechguy
2011-05-09, 09:05 PM
If you print to PDF to scale....lets say to a 24x36 sheet....when you bring it into PS it should still be a 24X36 view...so it will still be to scale...

Nymph
2011-05-09, 10:45 PM
To answer your original question, are you trying to print out sheets with yours plans (I assume at 1:50) and sections (1:20 assumed) on them? Or are you just printing the plan and section views directly, each view on a separate sheet?

Of course the answer to both is to set each view to the required scale, print at Zoom 100%, and be done with it.

The other question is, are these the drawing scales that will be used for the final versions of your plans and sections? If not, you can duplicate any view with detailing to create "working" versions of those views, and then change those duplicates to the required 1:50 and 1:20 scales, and again print those out at Zoom 100%.

I'll be printing all my work on one 2.2m x 5m board. I've been asked to color everything, so I need to import a scaled copy of each on photoshop first, with a PS background set to my board size.
* Yes, 1:20/1:50 are the final used scales for my project.

Nymph
2011-05-09, 10:46 PM
If you print to PDF to scale....lets say to a 24x36 sheet....when you bring it into PS it should still be a 24X36 view...so it will still be to scale...

I couldn't find an export to PDF on revit, so I had to export it to cad, then from cad plot to pdf. but the scale was all off!

renogreen
2011-05-09, 11:09 PM
You don't export to pdf in Revit, you print to pdf. If you have any pdf software on your computer, Adobe, Cute PDF Writer, it will come up as one of the printers when you print.

Hel
2011-05-10, 09:07 AM
Hello,

This is something I am also sorting at the moment, if you want to print to PS the best way in Revit is to "export" the sheet /floor plans/elevation etc as an image make sure it's at Zoom to 100%. However I don't think that will print to true scale when you’re in PS.

I don't recommend ever using plot to PDF as when you do this the image is always compressed and you will lose some scale so it will always be off. :(

The best option would be to export as DWG and the print as a EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) if you haven't done this before just go through these stages:

1. Open Manage Plotters
2. Add-A-Plotter Wizard (next), My Computer (Next), 'Models' PostScript Level 2 (Next), (Next), Plot to File (Next), 'choose a plotter name - I just keep it the same' (Next), Finish.
3. Plot to scale as you would normally do in AutoCAD
4. Choose the new printer/plotter you have just set up
5. Save to your destination file
6. In Photoshop open the EPS file, it will ask you for Rasterize EPS Format, do not change the image size you will lose the desired scale, but change the Resolution from 72 to 300 to get the best print quality.

All the line work will be as you want I would suggest testing on an A4 page first print as normal from PS and save as a Jpeg, as long as you never change the image size from now you will always have a true to scale drawing. :)

I'm hoping this is the sort of thing you’re looking for as I'm guessing you need to print up display posters

Hope this helps

Cheers Hel

Studio Hero
2018-02-23, 04:40 PM
Hey all- I'm sharing a good video on this that people seem to find helpful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmqmLtRwhJg&t=10s

DL

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if the link on my last post saved! here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmqmLtRwhJg&t=10s

Studio Hero
2018-03-17, 03:29 PM
This is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpXMAEfr1gg

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why this keeps getting moderated, the answer is in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpXMAEfr1gg