PDA

View Full Version : Slanted walls

sissela
2011-05-09, 02:51 PM
I am trying to draw a skylight well with slanted walls. I tried to rotate the wall vertically and I tried edit profile which did not work. Could anyone tell me how to slant the wall?

Sissela

renogreen
2011-05-09, 03:03 PM
Revit doesn't do slanted walls. You have to create a mass and shape the mass the way you want it and apply a all to the face of the mass.

patricks
2011-05-09, 03:04 PM
You will need to create a mass blend object representing the "volume" inside the slanted walls, and then select the Wall By Face tool by clicking the down arrow below the Walls tool.

So the bottom face of the blend object will be the size of your slanted wall perimeter at the bottom, and the top face will be about the size of your skylight. Then simply do Walls by Face and select each slanted face of the blend, and there you have your slanted walls. :)

jeffh
2011-05-09, 03:15 PM
As others have stated the wall by face tool will work for this condition. Another option could be to create a wall in place to create the condition. it might be a little bit easier to do this as an in place family.

antman
2011-05-09, 03:18 PM
create a wall in place

Did you mean to say "mass in place"?

patricks
2011-05-09, 04:05 PM
No, the OP could do an in-place component, of the Wall category, and do a blend solid to create the "slanted" walls. This will make ceiling plans and interior 3D views look correct, but section views will not look correct as the in-place "wall" won't have the correct layers. If you want the slanted walls to look correct in section, a mass blend and then walls by face will be required.

billy007nh
2011-05-09, 08:43 PM
In Place Family is the way to go!

cliff collins
2011-05-09, 09:55 PM
Yo Jeff,

See--they want the TILT WALL TOOL!!! It's not just me, I swear!
( BTW, I have an interesting development regarding this, but I cannot yet discuss.........)

cheers

jeffh
2011-05-10, 01:56 PM
Yo Jeff,

See--they want the TILT WALL TOOL!!! It's not just me, I swear!
( BTW, I have an interesting development regarding this, but I cannot yet discuss.........)

cheers

I don't think I ever said it was just you wanting a tilt wall tool. It might just feel that way sometimes. ;)

RobG
2011-05-10, 04:21 PM
I WANT THE TILT WALL TOOL!!!

I seem to recall I'd mentioned it in one of the past wishlists and it polled QUITE well!

The idea of having to create a mass, to be honest, is a PAIN.
Case in point, we had a BUNCH of ceiling coves in a project at my previous firm, one of the architects wanted to have them go from straight to sloped about 30 degrees. what a PAIN that was.. and all i kept thinking was "in the OTHER big-BIM software I could have just selected these and typed in 30 in the properties!"

I'm waiting patiently for this feature.

another good one, would be the ability to control the height of a wall differently from the start point to the end point of the wall without having to edit the sketch of the wall.... (can you say CURVED WALL much?!?)

patricks
2011-05-10, 05:03 PM
another good one, would be the ability to control the height of a wall differently from the start point to the end point of the wall without having to edit the sketch of the wall.... (can you say CURVED WALL much?!?)

How would you implement such a feature? I don't see how it could be a parameter of the wall, so a sketch would be the only thing left.

RobG
2011-05-10, 06:03 PM
why not?!? Make a secondary wall tool that allows a user to control the height of the wall at one end differently then the other end? Maybe even having the ends different colored dots so that people know which end is the "start" (maybe green?) and the "end" (red?)

again, hate to say it, but the other-bim-boys have it figured out... I'm rather certain the fine staff over at autodesk can do it too!